Long internodes on developing trees

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Do we care about long internodes on developing trees if we plan on chopping them anyways once desired size is accomplished? First spring seeing all my trees leaf out, I don't have the best light but enough to keep them happy, but the result is some longer internodes. I know pruning and pinching weakens trees, and my goal is to promote growth and size right now to develop good bases. So my plan is to let them grow within reason while making sure inner nodes don't get crowded out on parts I plan to use in the future.

Example: my trident maple has some beefy leaves near the top and some long internodes, but i'm planning to chop it at the first branch at some point.

Some insight would be great.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If all you are doing is a cutdown, grow your tree big as fast as practicable, but remember to work the roots every year or so on tridents to establish a decent nebari. Do this as a priority

The slight issue is “putting on the brakes” when needed. To do this, based upon your description, you’ll have to get consistent light to prevent leggy growth and possibly dial the type/amount of fertilizer down if that’s exacerbating the long internodes.

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Length of internodes above your planned chop is immaterial because they will be gone.
Definitely pay attention to internode length in the lower sections you plan to keep because they will influence where branches can grow on the eventual bonsai. That includes any branches that may become the trunk after a cut back.
Long internodes may not be a problem on a medium to larger bonsai because branches will be further apart.
I guess it all comes down to what you plan for the future bonsai.

Top Bottom