Long time lurker, first time poster, Ficus question!

Watts

Seed
Reaction score
Hi there! First of all, let me introduce myself (somewhat).

Skip to the text in bold if you only want to read the question. But hey, you might miss a joke or two!

I live in Montreal, Canada, on a third floor, lots of sun everywhere in the house, starting to get some plants inside, you know, because plants are pretty..

Anyways, some day, I woke up and started looking at the possibility of growing a tree inside the house, then.. It struck me! I wanted to grow a bonsai!
I always thought that trees were fascinating and I love how peaceful they make me..
And I always loved going at the botanic garden to look at bonsai trees..

So I began research and eventually ended up choosing to grow a ficus, out of a tiny tiny tree that I bought at the start of summer.
Here is how tall it is right now :)

20131014_214159.jpg
The little plastic bird is a water reservoir that is planted in the soil, which I fill up every three days so it has exactly how much water it needs (the water empties in 3 days, very slowly directly to the roots. The aluminum foil usually covers the whole soil because my cats are digging up the plant and probably peeing in the pot.

Here is a side to side picture so you guys have a better idea of how tall it actually is.
20131014_215957.jpg
I put the tree in a large pot right when I purchased the youngling, it was about half this tall when I got it.
I gave it a large pot because I heard that If I wanted good roots, I had to give him lots of space, then prune sometime.

Now I don't know some stuff.
How do I go about growing this tree to be a bonsai?

I am under the impression that I will have to have it grow normally for a few years until it forms a nice large trunk, then eventually cut it to shape it like a bonsai.

Am I right?

Also, when do I start pruning?
Do you guys have references online that explains the whole process?

I'm kinda lost because the information is so scattered that I don't know who and what to believe in.

I'd like my tree to be in a quite large pot afterwards, with a trunk of 1.5in to 2in in diameter.

Hope to hear more from you!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20131014_215957.jpg
    20131014_215957.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

Looks like you've got a Ficus benjamina, perhaps a 'Kiki' or 'Christine'. How much light does it get? I wouldn't have the water thing there, as it will probably just end up overwatering the tree. In order to get a large trunk, especially in a cold climate like Canada, you'll definitely want the tree to grow out for several years.

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Hey! and welcome! another ficus guy :)

Not to intervene with ryan here but it kinda looks a lot like my ficus b "too little"

IMG_2025.jpg

if so its very cool plant :) i lifted up the roots on mine as you can see.. dont know where to go with that yet but :)

And also took cuttings from same plant and placed them in close to the trunk hoping they will fill it out after a while :)

Good luck with your plant and have fun on bnut :)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey! and welcome! another ficus guy :)

Not to intervene with ryan here but it kinda looks a lot like my ficus b "too little"

Ah yes that's the name. I couldn't remember for some reason :rolleyes:

Kiki and Too Little are pretty similar.

Watts

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome!

Looks like you've got a Ficus benjamina, perhaps a 'Kiki' or 'Christine'. How much light does it get? I wouldn't have the water thing there, as it will probably just end up overwatering the tree. In order to get a large trunk, especially in a cold climate like Canada, you'll definitely want the tree to grow out for several years.

Hi Ryan!

Thanks for the advice!

Yes the ficus gets much sun during summer, I have a south+east balcony that I put it on, which only stops being bright at about 5pm, so the tree really loves being there.
I brought it back in gradually because it is fall now. The tree is currently facing a west window, still gets lots of light! :D (It's the in room that actually is the brightest of all of my rooms inside.) The person who gave it to me said it probably has a lot of love and care because it is growing really fast and only lost 3 leaves since I got it, and I heard ficus trees lose leaves if you look at them crosseyed.

Anyways, the tree does get a lot of light, I only have given it fertilizer twice, maybe should had given more but I always seemed to forget buying organic fertilizer and didn't want to feed it chemical stuff.

Question: Am I under the right assumption that I will have to cut the tree down once I have the thick trunk I'm looking for?

Is there a way to save the top part of the tree as well so I can make a tree out of the top, instead of throwing it ?

I know it'll be long until it becomes a bonsai, but I am really patient and I find it really inspiring to see the tree grow. I am proud of what I do and love to do things from A to Z.
:p

I also have a new tree I got at the end of summer, got it for a dollar, it is a siju elm, really small but beautiful, I might also transform it to a bonsai, maybe!

I have read many success stories with people salvaging trees from nurseries, maybe I will also do that.

But returning to my previous questions, I now know I have to wait a long time before doing anything to the tree.

Do you guys have other input, valuable ressources on which I can base my work on?

Much love.

AlBooBoo: Thanks for the identification, I was wondering what kind of ficus exactly it was.
:)
Your's is looking great!

AlBooBoo

Mame
Reaction score
Ryan is the go-to-guy when it comes to ficuses :)

But yes there is a way to preserve the top of the tree if you trunk chop it :)

Or you dont really "have to" trunk chop at all... just make cuttings from the plant when it gets lots of new shoots.. wait for roots and then add them on to the trunk/tree :)

But im out of my league here so i will leave it too Ryan to go into details :)

Watts

Seed
Reaction score
Looks like I have more reading to do!
Oh and I just opted in a "bonsai introduction" course, it is 160$ but includes a lot in there.

First of all, the basics: Pre-bonsai, technical data sheet, substrate, ceramic bonsai pot, aluminium wire, etc.

- 10% discount at the Nursery Bonsaï Gros-Bec. (Really huge selection!)
- Free acces to the annual SBPQ exhibition, to present your trees or to visit. (SBQP is the Quebec's bonsai and penjing association)
- Acces to all activities, formations and courses offered by the society. (Sweet!!)
- Acces to the Andolfo Bonsaï Studio, the high level courses offered by the SBPQ. (I'm aiming for that)
- To be the first to hear about new trees arrival from Asia, United-States or British Colombia. (In case I want special trees in the future)
- Have acces to precious advices from senior members of the society to guide you and help you progress into bonsaï. (Never enough advice!)
- An unlimited support from the pépinière Bonsaï Gros-Bec for everything related with your trees, their winter keeping, phytosanitary treatments, professionnal opinion, shaping, specific material, etc. (w00t, more support!)
- Have acces to many documentation on this site through the special "member acces". (Even more info!)
- Meet people, build strong link, becoming a real Bonsaïka! (My ultimate goal!)

___

This course is in november! Can't wait.

Top Bottom