look at this pomegranate bark!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this tree in 2/2009 with very good price. At that time, just a few buds. Now, it has some shoots. It has 14" height and 1.5" trunk base. The reason I bought it because its bark. I've never seen this type of bark on pomegranate in the past. It looks like it survive from the bad fire. It's in training now. I will make a sketch later on. Bonhe

Attachments

• DSC_0386.jpg
    DSC_0386.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC_0835.jpg
    DSC_0835.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 232
  • DSC_0836.jpg
    DSC_0836.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC_0837.jpg
    DSC_0837.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 249

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A sketch for this tree. Bonhe

Attachments

• img239.jpg
    img239.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 148

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Brent notes on his site:
Punica granatum 'Twisted Trunk' Red single flowers, few fruits. This plant reputedly forms a twisted trunk with great age, probably beginning in 15-20 years. The bark on the young plants is also a bit unusual, it is much rougher than other cultivars, covered with almost warty bumps. It also produces some wicked thorns.

http://evergreengardenworks.com/prunus.htm

Might it be this cultivar?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might it be this cultivar?[/QUOTE]

I have twisted pomegranate but its bark is not as similar as this.
Bonhe

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Be sure to start some cuttings, given the proclivity of pommies to hybridize, you may have a new or rare variety. :D

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
twisted pomegranate

I have an unusual pomegranate. It is kind of spooky. I call it my Halloween Bonsai. I think the base has alot of character with the knot holes. The tree iw completely hollow inside. The bark is similar to yours but not as ridged. It produces a beautiful flower but no fruit to date.:)

Dano

Attachments

• 100_1613.jpg
    100_1613.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 100_1612.jpg
    100_1612.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_1610.jpg
    100_1610.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 180

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree Dano. Do you intend to open the cavity down to the soil line?
Bonhe

Dano

Sapling
Reaction score
Spooky Pomegranate

Bohne,

I am thinking about opening the trunk up but I do like the three different cavities on the trunk. It has a personality that makes you want to look closer at the tree. Anyone have other thoughts.

Dano

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Dano, how is your tree?
Wow, it has been over 6 years from the time I posted this tree here! Time is flying and we are getting older :)
The pictures were taken this afternoon. Enjoy the fruit!
1.png

It has only one live vein.
3.png

2.png

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess so Quietobserver :)
Bonhe

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow, that's pretty amazing.
Though if it were my tree I would cut that fruit off. I assume that the fruit could be a result of a healthy tree, but its taking a lot of energy to create it. I've heard that sick trees (oaks for instance) have a bumper crop of acorns when they begin to fail.
CW

Geo

Chumono
Reaction score
Todos Santos,Baja Sur Elev56M 23.46N 110.24W
USDA Zone
11+
Leaving one or two fruits on the tree to mature is a bit of a charming tradition. They do it with crabs all the time. One fruit is not going to starve the tree. Very lovely look,by the way, Bonhe.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that's pretty amazing.
Though if it were my tree I would cut that fruit off. I assume that the fruit could be a result of a healthy tree, but its taking a lot of energy to create it. I've heard that sick trees (oaks for instance) have a bumper crop of acorns when they begin to fail.
CW
Thank you. You are correct CWTurner. The trees tend to give lot of flowers when they are in stress which is easy to understand. But for this tree, I am confident to let it bear the fruit for a while !
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leaving one or two fruits on the tree to mature is a bit of a charming tradition. They do it with crabs all the time. One fruit is not going to starve the tree. Very lovely look,by the way, Bonhe.
Thank you for your thought Geo. You are living in Mexico, so you should try to find a giant pomegranate to play with.
Bonhe

Top Bottom