loropetalum bonsai care when it is blooming

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
My loropetalum bonsai started blooming a week ago. In general, flowers take a lot of energy from the tree. I heard people removed the flowers and buds to keep the tree healthy. Should I remove the flower and buds?

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 14

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
What's the use of having a flowering tree, if you don't get to see the flowers? Just my opinion. I know there are reasons, but I have flowering trees to see the flowers. Enjoy them.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The "folk tale" about removing flowers is overwrought perfectionism foisted upon us by neurotic azalea growers. I know, I am an azalea grower LOL.

Unless you are in a race, trying to pay a mortgage with the proceeds of the sale of your azalea bonsai, the energy lost by allowing the tree to bloom is insignificant. The minor difference in growth rates won't make a damn bit of difference at the hobby level. And, loropetalum are not azaleas. By the time you can see and remove flower buds, the bulk of the energy that would go into the flowers has already been spent on the buds.

So relax, enjoy the flowers. Flowers are your reward for taking the trouble to water the tree. They are the reason you bought the Loropetalum rather than a boxwood or a juniper. So enjoy the flowers.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Oops!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Remove the spent flowers as soon as possible after they pass from being beautiful and the reason to have the tree. Maturing seeds takes a lot of energy and if removed the the tree can go about its business of second flush growth and setting buds for next season sooner than it would if it is allowed to ripen seed.

Top Bottom