Low Maintenance Soil

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Well you would know better than anyone of us if the pots are getting too dry. We have some hot days coming so they'll get tested. And one last thing to remember is that akadama (even the good hard stuff) will break down quickly here and change how the soil acts. When I used akadama I didn't realize it came in different levels of quality/hardness and it wound up making my pots a brick of clay after the first winter. The trees didn't seem to suffer so it lived up to its hype but it totally changed how often I had to water the following year

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
oh yeah...one more one last thing. The soil mix you gave is the standard for conifers, which can get a little drier without suffering. The mix for deciduous as far as I've read is 1part lava 1 part pumice and 2 parts akadama. That matters because trees like Japanese maple will fry up in the sun without enough moisture. You didn't mention what you're growing. So in hind sight I guess it is possible you are keeping your trees on the drier side. So many variables...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am growing my pines and juniper in 1:1:1 lava, pumice and akadama.
Right now I am watering them every other day.

Deciduous and others that like a bit more moisture get 1:1:2 lava, pumice and akadama

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
oh yeah...one more one last thing. The soil mix you gave is the standard for conifers, which can get a little drier without suffering. The mix for deciduous as far as I've read is 1part lava 1 part pumice and 2 parts akadama. That matters because trees like Japanese maple will fry up in the sun without enough moisture. You didn't mention what you're growing. So in hind sight I guess it is possible you are keeping your trees on the drier side. So many variables...
At the moment I'm only growing 2 junipers and various tiny seedlings in potting mix. I just bought nursery stock of Hinoki Cypress and a Boxwood but their soil looks alright as it is.

Top Bottom