luvinthemountains Japanese Maple #3 (from stump)

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. In fact, that is one of only 1-2 subtrunks that I now plan to cut back hard after first flush. The other is the one on the far right. But that one on the left for certain. It is too straight, and that internode too long.
Its location is perfect though for this viewing angle though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its location is perfect though for this viewing angle though.

I don't think I will take it too far back. Just down to the next node below the long, straight internode you've circled. Then I can either split into two at that point, or just select one bud and wire the shoot for more interesting movement and position. Does that sound right to you?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think I will take it too far back. Just down to the next node below the long, straight internode you've circled. Then I can either split into two at that point, or just select one bud and wire the shoot for more interesting movement and position. Does that sound right to you?
With literally no j map experience I’d say yes. I’m just speaking purely from a visual perspective. I love its natural clump form currently and I love that @Shibui pointed out that it’s the form they naturally grow in.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With literally no j map experience I’d say yes. I’m just speaking purely from a visual perspective. I love its natural clump form currently and I love that @Shibui pointed out that it’s the form they naturally grow in.

5CAB18DC-2A94-414F-9839-C63092DB373A.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
if it was mine, i would start with this shape ( a well tapered shohin) and after that, you can let i grow if you prefer larger tree, or pinch/trim to keep its shohin size.

That definitely gives me some food for thought. I feel that maples tend to look unkempt in leaf as shohin, but I am not ruling it out. Thank you!

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
That definitely gives me some food for thought. I feel that maples tend to look unkempt in leaf as shohin, but I am not ruling it out. Thank you!
I prefer larger & taller trees than shohin too ^^ It is more impressive and the leaves seem more proportionate.

A possible trunk line but you can imagine something else as it's like drawing on a blank page ->

20230409_090207.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
That looks great! Still not sure I want to head down the single-trunk path, though. That would involve a near-full reboot of the tree's structure. Where it stands now, I have a decent start on a multi-trunk. But I can see the vision. I can be so terrible when it comes to choosing between alternatives!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Stick with your vision of a multi trunk maple, that is a more representative form. Resist the single trunk…I am in the same place with a couple maples, trying to grow out these little branches into subtrunks.
(not the best example, but here’s a maple in my backyard)

Attachments

• C292A46A-F38F-4A6C-AB37-FC487621A8F8.jpeg
    C292A46A-F38F-4A6C-AB37-FC487621A8F8.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom