mail order azaleas Sept 2020

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice menu of opportunities!! Great choices.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So here's the list I ordered. I'm wondering what cultivar the one listed 'White Light purple border' is? I guess I will have to wait until I see it flower.

Ai no Hikari
Ai no Tsuki
Kin Nishiki
Kinpai
Miyo no Hikari
Oh My
SaidaTerms and rules
Shinnyo no Tsuki
Shinsho no Hana
Shizu no Mai
Tama no Hada
Terahime
White Light purple border
Yama no Akebono
Yamota

Anyone that wants to look up what most any azalea looks like, the Azalea Society of America has a photo database. It doesn't have every single cultivar, because there are so many of them and more each year.... and someone has to submit a photo. So for Shinnyo no Hana, when you get a decent photo, submit it or them to the database.

Here's the link

Below is a photo of Shinnyo no Tsuki

Cheers
DSD sends
1601166818050.png

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Haru no Sono grows very slowly and has large foliage and flowers, but the "hot pink" color as Nuccio's described it to me years ago is extremely showy. It is great in the garden and I am growing a couple of cuttings now as pre-bonsai. If anyone knows where I can mail order 'Kinsai', please PM me. I have not seen it locally for many years. Thx.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Leo,
Great to see you have bought some azaleas to enjoy and grow etc. Your choice of cultivars look very nice.
Spring here now, and all my Kurume cultivars are really showy, jealous of you guys and the choice of so many Satsuki ones too.
Charles

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So here's the list I ordered. I'm wondering what cultivar the one listed 'White Light purple border' is? I guess I will have to wait until I see it flower.

Ai no Hikari
Ai no Tsuki
Kin Nishiki
Kinpai
Miyo no Hikari
Oh My
Saida
Shinnyo no Tsuki
Shinsho no Hana
Shizu no Mai
Tama no Hada
Terahime
Yama no Akebono
Yamota

Pretty sure that's 'Teruhime' and maybe 'Yamato' instead of 'Yamota'.
And I am wondering if it is 'White Light' with a purple border. Or "white, and a light purple border". My guess is the first?

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Number one on my personal hit parade is hinomaru, with white blossoms with brilliant red centers, similar to the Japanese flag. It is hard to find other than as an import, and pretty expensive compared to other cultivars at the same stage of development. I need to do something like rescue a baby from a burning house, so that I can reward myself by dropping a grand or so on a nice hinomaru. Of course, that’s also the rationale I’d been saving for a bottle of the Knappogue Castle 1951 Irish whisky, which was bottled in 1987 after 36 years in barrel. Okay, two babies.....

Just found this picture:
1601320123546.png

So it is a bit variable in the red centers, breaking the Japanese flag pattern.
Source:

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pretty sure that's 'Teruhime' and maybe 'Yamato' instead of 'Yamota'.
And I am wondering if it is 'White Light' with a purple border. Or "white, and a light purple border". My guess is the first?
Yes, I think the grower has a couple names spelled wrong. Before choosing those I crossed referenced them on 3 different websites. I still have no clue on the White with light purple border. Do you know of any cultivars that could fit the description?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
White with light purple border could be
'Haru no Hibiki'

But I am not certain, sorting out azalea identities from written descriptions is more difficult than sorting from photo, and both are almost impossible. There are simply too many out there.

flower of 'Haru no Hibiki' from Singing tree website.
HaruNoHibiki23.jpg

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There's a bunch. But one would think the purple margins will be really thin. Or else it could be called a white center, as for example Shinnyo no Tsuki. So many Shugetsu or Kikoshi? I don't know of a satsuki called 'White Light'. Hakuko would be the spelling of that, I think.

'Haru no Hibiki' is fully a Belgian Indica of Japanese origin. I think for that reason it does not appear in satsuki dictionaries. If a western azalea nursery had such a plant, they would probably realize immediately that it is not a satsuki. Still fits the description. And a nice blotch. I saw one place list it as reasonable hardy, as this is a Belgian indica they are growing as garden plants in some places. No idea if the Japanese developed it as a garden plant or as a greenhouse forcer. For the Belgians, being able to force it properly (and the economics involved there) is the no.1 criteria by far for releasing a new cultivar.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
White with light purple border could be
'Haru no Hibiki'

But I am not certain, sorting out azalea identities from written descriptions is more difficult than sorting from photo, and both are almost impossible. There are simply too many out there.

flower of 'Haru no Hibiki' from Singing tree website.
View attachment 331950
Thanks! I think it will be at least two years before I can see the flowers as all the satsuki's I ordered are rooted cuttings and not sure how far along they are. I highly doubt they would have any flower buds on them now.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can look right now and see if they have flower buds. These came from the Arkansas nursery? Maybe their weather is still to warm for flower buds? I just got some plants myself that I think were grown in greenhouses, as they don't have flower buds. Every other azalea I have has. But, it depends on the weather, of course.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can look right now and see if they have flower buds. These came from the Arkansas nursery? Maybe their weather is still to warm for flower buds? I just got some plants myself that I think were grown in greenhouses, as they don't have flower buds. Every other azalea I have has. But, it depends on the weather, of course.
Yes he only ships the small potted ones. I have no clue how he grows them. I will have to wait to see them in person.

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some of my cuttings flower the first year, some the second. So once you get them, inspect the apical tips, unflod the leaves around it a bit, and see if they have a hard cone-shaped bud in the center. Or a flat leaf.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Some of my cuttings flower the first year, some the second. So once you get them, inspect the apical tips, unflod the leaves around it a bit, and see if they have a hard cone-shaped bud in the center. Or a flat leaf.
Most all my azaleas here in the ground already have flower buds. Some of my cuttings from last year also flowered this year. I have to see when they get here.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Satsuki azaleas are a "whole universe" unto themselves. There is a cult like following, where getting a cultivar to show all the possible color variations on a single plant is the goal. Satsuki are unique in that many of the cultivars have the combo of genetic and epigenetic color breaks, that allow a mix of colors in the same flowers and across the flowers on a plant. . . . At temperatures above 40 F or 4 C they do need sun, or roughly part shade, about half sun, for the winter. So there are several wintering options. Generally, if you don't have specific cultivar information, to be safe we keep them above 23 F, or above -5C. Some of the florist's azalea hybrids are less cold tolerant than that, and need to be kept above freezing at all times. Florist's azaleas are often the "Belgium hybrids" as listed on Nuccio's website. They were bred to be easy to force into bloom out of season.

So true so true.
Oh to have a hundred years and the backing of a bank
to play with both those strains of azaleas. Would be my
version of heaven.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Ai no Hikari
Ai no Tsuki
Kin Nishiki
Kinpai
Miyo no Hikari
Oh My
Saida
Shinnyo no Tsuki
Shinsho no Hana
Shizu no Mai
Tama no Hada
Terahime
Yama no Akebono
Yamota

Who did you order from?
Got some lovely choices in that list

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most all my azaleas here in the ground already have flower buds. Some of my cuttings from last year also flowered this year. I have to see when they get here.
As far as if there will be buds, it will depend on what intensity of light he’s using to cultivate the cuttings. High levels of light will likely produce budding. Lower levels, vegetative growth.

This year I’m growing out whips and getting buds stalls the growth. Thus I’m playing a dance between maximum light for vegetative growth without triggering budding. Having my grow shelves across a southwest facing window complicates the dance as there is additional side light.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

cheers
DSD sends

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Azalea Hill Gardens
Same one I put in my order to this year and got a shopping list
that will keep me busy for the next twenty finishing. Just always
love to keep up on where others are sourcing plant materials.
Think we really need a section just for that. Sort of a this is what
I got for this and this is why I was satisfied or not.

Top Bottom