Marco Invernizzi's new tool - "Ichiban"

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
It's funny how people may use ... the words "full of theirself" the ones that don't fit in their own criteria.
In '04, at 28 years old I was in St.Louis as the youngest ever headliner demonstrator at a BCI congress, by then I already studied 4 years with Kimura, had my own nursery, import several container from Japan every year on my own, won multiple times the major European bonsai competitions and couldn't fit a needle in my schedule.
I remember that demo... A Ponderosa pine with a pot that was so big that had wheels on it otherwise we would have need a big yellow crane to move it, an after dinner "everybody in sleepy mode" demo which was taking place in a room where the audience was so spread out that I could have played tennis with the person closer to me and a volunteer who came up on stage and while I was explaining something about how to carve that monster of Pine decided to literally rip a part 90% of the buds.
I'm really sorry if in 3 hours I had to made a fool of myself to style that pine, keep the audience awake and mostly pass on some useful didactic information. I'm really sorry. ...
Happy Sunday everybody!

Marco, apparently I haven't made myself clear enough, and I apologize.

I was not trying to say that you are "full of yourself." But you sometimes can appear that way to people in this country, because of differences in cultural perceptions. (Forgive my Yankee bluntness; another cultural difference.)

Let me try to give an example of the sort of thing I mean. In the US, we beckon "come here" with the palm of the hand up; in Ecuador and thruout Latin America, one beckons "come here" with the palm of the hand down. More than once, I've forgotten and beckoned with my palm down to someone in the US, and they haven't had the slightest idea what I meant! I made my gesture under one set of cultural assumptions, and they saw it thru the "lens" of different cultural assumptions.

It's the same sort of perceptual difference. Your "body language" and mannerisms are the products of your own culture, while people in the US see them thru the "lens" of their own culture. The result can be misunderstanding. In my earlier post, I was trying to address that misunderstanding, and perhaps do something to lessen it.

Personally, I don't think you're especially "full of yourself." That was clear to me in St. Louis, once I remembered to "switch lenses." I remember explaining something about that to my wife, who unlike me doesn't have the advantage of having grown up in a multi-cultural setting.

And I certainly didn't think you made a fool of yourself in that demo. You did a fine job. I remember wondering what in the world even a bonsai master could do with that runaway tree, and then being amazed at the result. I learned some things about what could be done in styling in the process. I'm glad I was able to be there.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good Point Treebeard

Treebeard this is a very good point and one that comes up on the web forums all the time and in real life....
These concepts have been studied a lot......and what we call common sense in one culture can and is completely different in another.
Neville Moray concluded that “Eventually conscious reactions change when living in a new culture. But it seems highly likely, that the stereotypical habit acquired over many years in one population will from time to time interfere with performance even with much practice, and particularly in an emergency where a rapid skill based reaction is required”
So we have to try and understand the others point of view or even their written dialogue from their own set of common sense rules which is the knowledge and experience from within their own cultural upbringing.
Cheers

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Treebeard this is a very good point and one that comes up on the web forums all the time and in real life....
These concepts have been studied a lot......and what we call common sense in one culture can and is completely different in another.
Neville Moray concluded that “Eventually conscious reactions change when living in a new culture. But it seems highly likely, that the stereotypical habit acquired over many years in one population will from time to time interfere with performance even with much practice, and particularly in an emergency where a rapid skill based reaction is required”
So we have to try and understand the others point of view or even their written dialogue from their own set of common sense rules which is the knowledge and experience from within their own cultural upbringing.
Cheers

There is a strange thing that comes over me when I'm around Brits, I start talking with an accent, what is that, my wife always ask me what is going on, you're not from England, actually my ancestors were, but that was a very long time ago. I don't do it to Marco with Italian, except to tease him.

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I'm biased, but this is the only board that any bonsai master has contributed to that I know of, it was of course in defence of his new tool. What happens, he gets insulted. he has been back on a couple of occasions, but has not posted. Perhaps if we treat him a little kinder, since he's not used to our forwardness, he may stay. My point is, if he comes here, we could get some styling tips for our trees if we asked, and other helpful hints from one of the top masters in the business.

keep it green,
Harry

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
I'm biased, but this is the only board that any bonsai master has contributed to that I know of, it was of course in defence of his new tool.

Your joking of course ?? I have read various posts by Walter Pall, William Valavanis and Brent Walston from Evergreen Gardenworks. I will not debate the meaning of master....but their work should speak for itself at this point....Tom.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I'm biased, but this is the only board that any bonsai master has contributed to that I know of, it was of course in defence of his new tool.

Your joking of course ?? I have read various posts by Walter Pall, William Valavanis and Brent Walston from Evergreen Gardenworks. I will not debate the meaning of master....but their work should speak for itself at this point....Tom.

Your right, I should have said Japanese trained.....
Although I don't have a clue where Bill Valavanis or Brent Walston received their training, maybe Japan.
I am biased for two reasons, Marco is my friend and traditional Japanese styling is really all I care much for.

Keep it green,
Harry

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm biased, but this is the only board that any bonsai master has contributed to that I know of, it was of course in defence of his new tool. What happens, he gets insulted. he has been back on a couple of occasions, but has not posted. Perhaps if we treat him a little kinder, since he's not used to our forwardness, he may stay. My point is, if he comes here, we could get some styling tips for our trees if we asked, and other helpful hints from one of the top masters in the business.

keep it green,
Harry

This isn't exactly true. BonsaiTALK used to have Walter Pall contributing regularly until the trolls got the best of him.

And in fact, Boon is posting currently at bonsaistudygroup.com including some of his own trees. It is very important to nurture these relationships, as Harry has said. Otherwise it's a downward trend as the more experienced enthusiasts get trashed by the wannabes and eventually quit posting.

Chris

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This isn't exactly true. BonsaiTALK used to have Walter Pall contributing regularly until the trolls got the best of him.

And in fact, Boon is posting currently at bonsaistudygroup.com including some of his own trees. It is very important to nurture these relationships, as Harry has said. Otherwise it's a downward trend as the more experienced enthusiasts get trashed by the wannabes and eventually quit posting.

Chris

Am I mistaken, or didn't Boon recieve his traning in Japan...

keep it green,
Harry

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A

Chris
The benchmark forum was the original Internetbonsaiclub.com. It was a true international bonsai forum with regular contributors from well known and respected pro's, and amateurs from Norway to Italy, Russia to Bali. We were kind and respectful to each other for the most part and it was a great source of cutting-edge information and comaraderie. It fell to hackers but is up in a limited way with full recovery coming.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am I mistaken, or didn't Boon recieve his traning in Japan...

keep it green,
Harry

Yes he did, but I don't understand the question. You just mentioned that Marco was the only master you had seen posting on a forum. Didn't Marco receive his instruction in Japan, too? With Kimura?

Chris

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Yes he did, but I don't understand the question. You just mentioned that Marco was the only master you had seen posting on a forum. Didn't Marco receive his instruction in Japan, too? With Kimura?

Chris

Everyone has gotten so paranoid anymore, maybe I'm the cause. I know Boon has a large following and I don't know much about him, so I was just asking if that was where he studied. You are correct about Marco, have a good evening.

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
The benchmark forum was the original Internetbonsaiclub.com. It was a true international bonsai forum with regular contributors from well known and respected pro's, and amateurs from Norway to Italy, Russia to Bali. We were kind and respectful to each other for the most part and it was a great source of cutting-edge information and comaraderie. It fell to hackers but is up in a limited way with full recovery coming.

I would like to post some trees there at times, but it's to much trouble, they have to be on the net and not on your computer, so I don't bother.

keep it green,
Harry

Reaction score
Dear Mr.TreeBeard 55,
thank you for your reply. I appreciate every word of it.

I don't find this is the best opportunity to talk about me or my career. I know what I have archived so far and I know what people don't like to admit about myself. It's all good to me. My grandma loves me very much! that's what matters to me.

We are here to talk about the first ever tool designed by a Bonsai Master. How many professional there are in the bonsai world? Thousands and thousands, but so far no one came out with a tool that can be used by everybody, with any tree, in every country at any age.

My dear friend Cheng Cheng Kung from Taiwan designed and sales a set of carving tools for soft wood trees. It's an amazing set of tools but so far everyone who I know that owns it doesn't really know how to use it and most of all doesn't work on the trees for which the set of tools has been created for.

So let's focus on ICHIBAN. There are any more questions?

regards to all from Iceland

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Harry,

You need to get out more, KoB has quite a few masters posting often as does AoB and IBC.

Marco recently was a big help as a judge on a recent contest as well.

Will

Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Harry,

You need to get out more, KoB has quite a few masters posting often as does AoB and IBC.

Marco recently was a big help as a judge on a recent contest as well.

Will

I would probably get banned the first week.............;)
But on the other hand, I can keep it civil when I need to, it's just not as much fun....:rolleyes:

keep it green,
Harry

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Dear Mr.TreeBeard 55,
thank you for your reply. I appreciate every word of it.

I don't find this is the best opportunity to talk about me or my career. I know what I have archived so far and I know what people don't like to admit about myself. It's all good to me. My grandma loves me very much! that's what matters to me.

We are here to talk about the first ever tool designed by a Bonsai Master. How many professional there are in the bonsai world? Thousands and thousands, but so far no one came out with a tool that can be used by everybody, with any tree, in every country at any age.

My dear friend Cheng Cheng Kung from Taiwan designed and sales a set of carving tools for soft wood trees. It's an amazing set of tools but so far everyone who I know that owns it doesn't really know how to use it and most of all doesn't work on the trees for which the set of tools has been created for.

So let's focus on ICHIBAN. There are any more questions?

regards to all from Iceland

Marco, are there bonsai in Iceland...... Eric the Red switched the names of Iceland that is green and Greenland that's ice, see I know some things.

When will we be able to buy ICHIBAN in the US and who will be selling it..?

Ciao,
Harry

Last edited:
Top Bottom