Mateo’s bald cypress progression thread

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
I know others prefer the small size of turface for air layering, no sphagnum moss.
They state it is easier to remove than sphagnum moss, less chance of damaging the new roots.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I know others prefer the small size of turface for air layering, no sphagnum moss.
They state it is easier to remove than sphagnum moss, less chance of damaging the new roots.
I have plenty of that laying around here somewhere, I’ve found if you chop up the long fibers it’s easier to pick out of the roots, but still a pain.

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
I take hard wire cloth 1/4 inch and grind the moss on the wire frame, with a bucket or pan to catch it. It’s pretty quick process, then soak in in water.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use something similar to this to grind my sphagnum moss for airlayers. Very easy to clean when you separate and plant into bonsai soil.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Let’s hope third time is the charm. I redid this air layer again. I also cut more bark off and re applied rooting hormone again. I used hormodin 3 this time. If that don’t work I don’t know what will. I do like how much the bottom of the airlayer has swollen compared to what it was.
F5169CD2-14E1-4981-8E22-9E72481ECBE8.jpeg4083D66F-72A3-4566-B0C7-E7E142793079.jpeg0BF14A91-FF9F-4536-A456-7EC5FEE323A1.jpeg

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let’s hope third time is the charm. I redid this air layer again. I also cut more bark off and re applied rooting hormone again. I used hormodin 3 this time. If that don’t work I don’t know what will. I do like how much the bottom of the airlayer has swollen compared to what it was.
View attachment 480045View attachment 480046View attachment 480047
How did it go this summer? I tried my first BC air layer this summer and it has just begun to form the nub of a root when the top just died.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How did it go this summer? I tried my first BC air layer this summer and it has just begun to form the nub of a root when the top just died.
It put out one lonely little root. Since I have been having better success rooting them as cuttings than air layering them I went ahead and separated it and potted it up. It put out a bud or two so we will see what happens this spring once the BC start waking up. I have since amassed an army of bald cypresses so I’m not going to be too hurt if the layered piece croaks. Btw, this one’s top browned out also and had a second flush. BC are weird trees.

Top Bottom