MICE!!!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I said I'd start a thread on some things I found the other day once the snow receded from my trees.
First up a couple procumbens I've been growing out. At least you can see what staking up these trees does. Plain as day!2016-03-16 11.31.12.jpg 2016-03-16 11.31.39.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll let you guys think about those for a bit.
The best is yet to come.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know, can imagine looking at foliage on the top of the soil...I would be furious if this were mine. I'm sorry.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So the live vein is completely gone?
Bummer!

any more losses or just the one?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2016-03-16 11.32.43.jpg
I know, can imagine looking at foliage on the top of the soil...I would be furious if this were mine. I'm sorry.
That's nothing. No need for apologies. I'm just making the best out of a bad situation.
Next up a hawthorn I dug up a couple years ago.
Looks like they really liked this one!
There was another sitting right next to it. Not a tooth mark on it.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you have the trees covered-protected by any leaves/branches or simply put on the ground under the snow?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Sorry Mike. I know how it feels to lose trees to mice (1 smallish grafted JWP, a large Japanese maple with potential but needing a ton of work) but I suspect your losses will blow mine away.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you have the trees covered-protected by any leaves/branches or simply put on the ground under the snow?
Surrounded bt 4' tall 1/4" hardware cloth that's buried 6" in the ground. The trees were sitting on straw buried up to the branches in straw. I don't know if the much climbed over or if they found a small gap in the fence.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a small flowering shrub and mice ate all the buds (during our 'winter'), but they all came back (omg) in like 1 month (in the late winter), I'm sorry about your tree's man.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Dude, I feel your pain. It is really difficult to make a mouse proof winter shelter. Wire me's idea is good. Also scattering moth balls - paradichlorobenzene pellets around the trunks in autumn helps, but nothing is fool proof. Mice, voles, rabbits, and deer are all bonsai vermine in my book.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been there...experienced it. It's why I don't keep trees outside during the winter anymore.

Have also had issues with trees on the floor in my barn. Now they all go on tables, at least the ones I care most about. Anything on the floor I'll wrap the trunks with that plastic mesh/rodent guard. Also use it on the trees that are in the nursery bed. It does seem to help, but if the snow is deep the critters will have access to the higher parts of the trunk and branches.

Question, was the fencing metal? They'll eat right through plastic.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Straw...branches...I refuse using whatever similar, it makes heaven for mice and voles. I always bury the threes in the ground and cover them with the garden soil. Used to do it without the pots. But this winter was the first one since I started growing in inorganic soil...so I covered the pots by the agrotextile and buried as usually. Taking them out in the spring I was pleased with the result. No garden soil got to the bonsai substrate, needed just a wet cloth to wipe the pots slightly. BTW this was advised by my bonsai friends.
Screenshot_2016-03-16-17-25-47.jpg

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 97907
That's nothing. No need for apologies. I'm just making the best out of a bad situation.
Next up a hawthorn I dug up a couple years ago.
Looks like they really liked this one!
There was another sitting right next to it. Not a tooth mark on it.

what. the. shit. dang man thats tuff.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Question, was the fencing metal?
Sure was.
Big elm is next. I may be able to ground layer this but the damage is pretty high up the back side.
We're heading to a cresdendo!2016-03-16 11.32.00.jpg

Top Bottom