Mid-level tools? Issues buying from American bonsai supply.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You've just been pushy and argumentative throughout the thread. Not worth my time

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Indeed. I will never understand why people cannot give someone a few days to respond before putting in complaints with second parties.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ah, the old adage. A happy customer tells ten people, but an unhappy customer tells the internet. 😆

It is an old adage, but based on actual business results, it was determined that it is more important to make a dissatisfied customer happy than to ensure 100% happiness in the first place. A happy customer tells ten people, an unhappy customer tells the internet, but a dissatisfied customer whom you make whole - they become a disciple :)

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I took the consensus advice and bought Kaneshin shears. With Sumo's Thanksgiving sale, they were $44 shipped, which is similar to but slightly less then the other brands. They are definitely my favorite of the 4 brands, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more tools from them. Very even cut across the entire length of the shears and the most comfortable to hold. Thanks to those who made that suggestion!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I took the consensus advice and bought Kaneshin shears. With Sumo's Thanksgiving sale, they were $44 shipped, which is similar to but slightly less then the other brands. They are definitely my favorite of the 4 brands, I wouldn't hesitate to buy more tools from them. Very even cut across the entire length of the shears and the most comfortable to hold. Thanks to those who made that suggestion!

I am sure you will get spoiled by them.
They are very, very good tools!

Reaction score
I have a pair of cuisinart scissors from Walmart that seem to do the trick. They seem to keep their edge but I don’t make thick cuts with them. Tight and comfortable, plus they can be used a a bottle opener when that thirst hits you that can only be quenched by a cold Miller 👌🏻A0E6B8AD-9D85-4891-AC48-DD7194B51C4B.jpeg

Prozart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Haha, I actually did the same thing. I hadn't heard anything about Sumo but I decided to give it a shot. A domestic seller with Kaneshin at those prices? I couldn't resist. They arrived at my house today (the delay was no fault of Sumo, they shipped them within 24 hours and USPS priority "2-3 day" went ahead and took a week to get them to me. But before anyone bashes me, I know USPS is dealing with a lot of crap right now, lol) so I'm excited to check them out. Got shears, concave cutters, knob cutters, and wire cutters.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow. I just have to say that your experience sounds out of character with American Bonsai. I mostly have Kaneshin and Masakuni tools, but I have tried some of their tools. They’re ok.

For the money, I’d stick with Kaneshin.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Wow. I just have to say that your experience sounds out of character with American Bonsai. I mostly have Kaneshin and Masakuni tools, but I have tried some of their tools. They’re ok.

For the money, I’d stick with Kaneshin.
Masakuni tools are a long and distant dream....

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha, I actually did the same thing. I hadn't heard anything about Sumo but I decided to give it a shot. A domestic seller with Kaneshin at those prices? I couldn't resist. They arrived at my house today (the delay was no fault of Sumo, they shipped them within 24 hours and USPS priority "2-3 day" went ahead and took a week to get them to me. But before anyone bashes me, I know USPS is dealing with a lot of crap right now, lol) so I'm excited to check them out. Got shears, concave cutters, knob cutters, and wire cutters.
Let us know how you like them!

Prozart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Let us know how you like them!
I love them. Admittedly this is my first set of tools so I don't have anything to compare them too, but they feel great and the random little bits of pruning I did with them last night went well. Can't wait to use them more extensively!

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hey, @JonW I am just coming across this thread. I sell Kaneshin at Sumo Bonsai Supply. I am waiting for a shipment to get cleared through customs so I am out of a few things.
The Kaneshin and the Joshua Roth brand scissors that I sell have a wiggle in them. Some more than others. Both companies confirm that there is supposed to be a wiggle in the blades to help cut branches.
I have had a couple of different customers complain about the wiggle and I will replace them with a less wiggly pair. I do have a return policy if there is a defect I will replace it at no cost. This includes return shipping to me of the defective item. The wiggle is not a defect, but to the customer that is not used to the wiggle, I can see how they might think this.

Anyway, I did not read all three pages of this thread. If you have not tried Kaneshin tools yet, I highly recommend them. If you find something on the kaneshin website that I do not have and you would like to purchase, I can get them for you.

Good luck.

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, @JonW I am just coming across this thread. I sell Kaneshin at Sumo Bonsai Supply. I am waiting for a shipment to get cleared through customs so I am out of a few things.
The Kaneshin and the Joshua Roth brand scissors that I sell have a wiggle in them. Some more than others. Both companies confirm that there is supposed to be a wiggle in the blades to help cut branches.
I have had a couple of different customers complain about the wiggle and I will replace them with a less wiggly pair. I do have a return policy if there is a defect I will replace it at no cost. This includes return shipping to me of the defective item. The wiggle is not a defect, but to the customer that is not used to the wiggle, I can see how they might think this.

Anyway, I did not read all three pages of this thread. If you have not tried Kaneshin tools yet, I highly recommend them. If you find something on the kaneshin website that I do not have and you would like to purchase, I can get them for you.

Good luck.
Thanks Jeremiah,

Based on this thread, I got Kaneshin shears from you (sumo). They are great, with a normal amount of play between the blades. The American bonsai supply ones wouldn't touch in the center of the shears no matter how I held them ( they only could cut at the base or tip). Unfortunately, American Bonsai wouldn't give me my money back, so PayPal had to step in. I tried mu tian shears that were just fine, and very happy with the Kaneshin, which are a step above the others.

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Thanks Jeremiah,

Based on this thread, I got Kaneshin shears from you (sumo). They are great, with a normal amount of play between the blades. The American bonsai supply ones wouldn't touch in the center of the shears no matter how I held them ( they only could cut at the base or tip). Unfortunately, American Bonsai wouldn't give me my money back, so PayPal had to step in. I tried mu tian shears that were just fine, and very happy with the Kaneshin, which are a step above the others.
Yeah if I would have read the whole thread I would have seen that. I am glad you are happy. Feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns. I appreciated the support as well. It means a lot to me that people recommend Sumo Bonsai Supply.

Prozart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Just to chime in with an update on my purchase from Sumo, I am very pleased. They were shipped quickly, well packaged, and I love the tools! I definitely look forward to being able to use them more as I've only had the chance to prune some tropicals so far. I got wire cutters, concave cutters, shears, knob cutters, and a root rake. I was a little uncertain of Sumo as I hadn't seen much talk about them, but I'll definitely continue to shop there in the future!

Top Bottom