Misfit Corner Hinoki Cypress

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
All,

This Hinoki Cypress has been hanging out in the discount section, or "Misfit Corner" as I like to call it, at my local nursery for at least a year now, if not a year and a half. I've been attracted to it's pronounced arrow-straight double trunk and large base (about 5-6" in diameter). It's definitely not in the best of health and foliage is severely lacking in the lower and middle sections of the tree, and especially close to the trunk here. That being said, it has a couple of backbuds (I've learned this is very rare for this species), right in the middle of the trunk and foliage near the top of the tree is pretty compact and relatively healthy. I realize that it would be a pretty epic undertaking with regards to time, but for some reason it just keeps staring at me and haunting my thoughts every time I visit the nursery, like it knows I want it.

Now, my dilemma is whether or not I should throw out an offer on this tree, as it's been sitting for so long, and take it home attempting to give it a new life as a bonsai. Or, let it carry out its life tucked away in the back of the nursery, all alone, likely with its ultimate end coming by way of wood chipper. Do you see any merit in this tree, and if so what would you do and what do you see in it? Also, my apologies for the junk photos, I took them this afternoon on my lunch break.

Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Hello 👋

If it speaks to you I would buy it. Personally I would use it as a cool topiary or as a landscape tree.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love Hinoki but, have to agree with BVF. Go back this spring/summer to see if that rare backbud in the crotch survives and takes off. Then maybe...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In an effort to save you grief, I would agree with the "pass on this one" recommendations.

However I have a similar looking hemlock, equally reluctant to back bud, actually sitting in my backyard.

If you feel you "really gotta have it", then buy it.

If you buy it, you will have to commit to learning to graft branches to this trunk. If you are not willing to learn grafting, pass on it. Grafting is the only way you will get branches low enough to create a believable bonsai. And it will take time. If you start grafting this summer, you might be able to do the "first bonsai styling" of this tree in about 10 years. It is a slow process. But you will learn just how reluctant hinoki are to back bud.

Hope this helps. Seriously, I would walk away. I planned on learning grafting over 10 years ago, I still haven't put the time in to be able to do it reliably. I have only one tree with branches I successfully grafted, and it was a crab apple, which by all measurements is one of the easiest trees to graft.

So give it a pass.

NHATIVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you for all of your input. Pretty much what I was expecting... For some reason, I've got this vision of a tall and grand, almost literati, double-trunk formal upright with varying small pieces deadwood up one or both of the trunks. If I can get it for the right price, it might be a fun one to just dink around with. At the very least, it can teach me more about working with Hinoki... Thanks again!

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I can get it for the right price, it might be a fun one to just dink around with. At the very least, it can teach me more about working with Hinoki... Thanks again!
Heck ya. If you go in w/no great expectations for bonsai. Make a cool patio tree or Niwaki.

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have heard (no experience here) that these will back bud better in the ground. If the price isn't bad and you have the space in the ground you could give it a try. But I am sure that is a +10 year project too. If it even works.

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For some reason, I've got this vision of a tall and grand, almost literati, double-trunk formal upright with varying small pieces deadwood up one or both of the trunks.
There was a recent thread that featured a literati styled hinoki with great livewood shari. It had a beautiful rich redwood color twisting up the trunk.
I'll see if I can find it!

Top Bottom