More big elms

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Scouted and chopped these Siberian elms last summer. I went and dug them this spring and they took much longer to push than most other Siberian I have. I haven’t seen bark on Siberian this color and density. Now that they’ve started to push growth it’s off to the races! Thread grafts will be in order at some point. They are both screwed to a board but the roots weren’t great at collection so we’ll see what I’ve got next spring.

They both have loads of potential but the more I look at it, the more I’m excited about the slanted tree. Reminds me a bit of Harry Harringtons big elm collected by graham potter. @BobbyLane i think you may like these ones!

Here’s the leaner
IMG_5196.jpegIMG_5714.jpegIMG_6272.jpeg
IMG_6270.jpeg

And the other more upright tree
IMG_5198.jpeg
IMG_5713.jpeg
IMG_6271.jpegIMG_6269.jpeg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Scouted and chopped these Siberian elms last summer. I went and dug them this spring and they took much longer to push than most other Siberian I have. I haven’t seen bark on Siberian this color and density. Now that they’ve started to push growth it’s off to the races! Thread grafts will be in order at some point. They are both screwed to a board but the roots weren’t great at collection so we’ll see what I’ve got next spring.

They both have loads of potential but the more I look at it, the more I’m excited about the slanted tree. Reminds me a bit of Harry Harringtons big elm collected by graham potter. @BobbyLane i think you may like these ones!

Here’s the leaner
View attachment 492665View attachment 492667View attachment 492668
View attachment 492673

View attachment 492669
View attachment 492672
View attachment 492670View attachment 492671
Wowzers! The bark is awesome.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Here’s the leaner
View attachment 492673

View attachment 492669
View attachment 492672

That last picture is a great photo.
Also great box you built there. The countersinking was a nice touch.
Bark looks amazing! Looks like something @BobbyLane has hanging in his closet.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, both very nice, the bark is special. Do you ship to UK?😆
Haha! If only! Though, my brother in law got stationed in the UK and my wife and I are looking to visit next year! I’ll jam one in my suitcase.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Here’s the leaner
View attachment 492673

View attachment 492669
View attachment 492672
Beautiful tree. I wish I have one of those. I like the last one most.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Scouted and chopped these Siberian elms last summer. I went and dug them this spring and they took much longer to push than most other Siberian I have.

Interesting. Have you ever considered developing trunks on these over the course of a few years before digging? There is a field of decent ones up the road from me that I have considered trying it with. Most empty fields around here seem to metamorphose into apartment blocks pretty quickly, but this one has been empty for a long time! Maybe I should find out who the owner is and inquire.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. Have you ever considered developing trunks on these over the course of a few years before digging? There is a field of decent ones up the road from me that I have considered trying it with. Most empty fields around here seem to metamorphose into apartment blocks pretty quickly, but this one has been empty for a long time! Maybe I should find out who the owner is and inquire.
I have. Just haven’t taken the time to do so. I would be worried it’d get cleared out without me knowing based on what you said! What’s interesting with these though is how slow they responded to being dug. It took just over a month to see active growth. Where as when I dig and chop all in the same go I get backbudding in 10-14 days at the latest.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those look like high quality finish grade plywood. Knowing Hartinez, he probably used cut-off/left-over from his wood working projects.
Did you use standard grade plywood for the whole box?
Cajun rider nailed it. I have lots of cutoff from this 11plus ply, plywood. Very dense and well structured. I have been building a lot with it lately and have a ton of these cutoffs laying around in the shop. At $200 a sheet I have a hard time justifying throwing any of it away.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cajun rider nailed it. I have lots of cutoff from this 11plus ply, plywood. Very dense and well structured. I have been building a lot with it lately and have a ton of these cutoffs laying around in the shop. At $200 a sheet I have a hard time justifying throwing any of it away.
Looks great. That's some nice quality wood. Your trees are living it up.

Top Bottom