Mr.Maple.com A Good Source For Pre-Bonsai Materials?

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I ask because I am found some species that I really like. For example, dwarf scots pine and some special maples. But they are all grafted. After contacting their customer support, I was told if I note that I would like low graft for bonsai purpose, they would pick the lowest graft trees for me. Have anyone had experience with them?

Also, do they ever give out discount codes? I am subscribed but have only received emails about youtube videos and new species introduction so far.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have purchased from them in the past and they seem to be up front and honest. They also have a pretty good product for grafted material. Just my opinion of course. Let us know how it turns out pls.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They are a decent company, but as you already know, almost all their material is grafted unless they specify in the title "seedling". I have several trees from them, but I intend to layer them eventually. I usually buy from them cultivars that are not readily available from other sources not-grafted. Even low grafted can be unwanted for bonsai, unless the graft is done in a manner that it will blend in with the tree as it grows. The graft is very noticeable in the few maples, a gingko chi-chi, and a JBP Thunderhead that I have order from them. Otherwise the plants are in very good shape.

AK47

Seedling
Reaction score
I have used mr. Maple for a few years. In my opinion they have an excellent selection all around, probably the best in US. They also have very competitive prices and their packing is amazing. I have bought more then 50 different maples and all of them were great, never really have issues with them.
However, most of the pines they sent me have died since. I purchased maybe 10 over the years. I do have one, 5 needle pine, which is growing happily, but most others started yellowing as soon as it arrived and within a few months were gone. It's too bad too, as they were very interesting cultivars. I do have 2 pines which arrived 2 weeks ago, and one is already yellowing pretty badly. The other one is still ok, so there is hope.
I wish they had some sort of guarantee plan - but maybe their prices would have to be higher all around for something like this to work. Also, I have to add that I am located in MA and they are in Carolina, so the climate is a bit different. Those rare grafted pines maybe suffering some sort of shock and having hard time adjusting. It's possible if you are in Carolina or closer to their zone - you would get better results. When it comes to maples, ginkos, etc - they are great. Good luck with your bonsai adventures.

Reaction score
Those guys have a great informative YouTube page as well - check that out I know they had some bonsai specific videos awhile back.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I've bought a number of maples from them. They have some hard to find cultivars. Their service and shipping is great. However the trees all come with very obvious grafts so must be air layered to make bonsai.

keithl

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bought a deshojo from them. Graft was a bit messy, but maybe over time it would smooth out. Tree survived through the first winter and seemed healthy in spring. Early summer I removed the graft tape, everything seemed stable and it had been over a year that I had the tree. It went downhill almost immediately. It dropped all leaves over a couple weeks. It tried to push new leaves but they only opened slightly before they dried up. Tree was dead. Not sure what happened. I had dozens of JMs over the years, and this is the only one I have ever killed (also the only grafted one I have ever bought). So perhaps the graft wasnt fully healed? Maybe something else? Dont think anything I did killed it, but who knows.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've bought a number of maples from them. They have some hard to find cultivars. Their service and shipping is great. However the trees all come with very obvious grafts so must be air layered to make bonsai.
definitely... especially on any cork or rough bark tree... I am air layering at the node right above the graft, so I can keep the green maple alive.

And yes to the variety they have, not only on JMs but on other deciduous trees as well as liquidambars, gingko's, blackgum, etc... Pines too, but mostly pines that don't do well in my climate.

As received June 2021
1695915777505.png

late August 2023.
1695915725710.png

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
They are a decent company, but as you already know, almost all their material is grafted unless they specify in the title "seedling". I have several trees from them, but I intend to layer them eventually. I usually buy from them cultivars that are not readily available from other sources not-grafted. Even low grafted can be unwanted for bonsai, unless the graft is done in a manner that it will blend in with the tree as it grows. The graft is very noticeable in the few maples, a gingko chi-chi, and a JBP Thunderhead that I have order from them. Otherwise the plants are in very good shape.
Do you remember what kind of soil do they use for conifers? Especially pines? Trying to figure out if I need to plan for a repot or not.
Thanks!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Same soil as on the maples. Very loose soil but heavy on peat. I would definitely repot as soon as possible to move it into whatever soil you use.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have purchased a number of different small deciduous trees online this past spring and summer. I lost most of them due to my weather here. I have very low humidity most of the time and about none in the summer. We also can have pretty intense heat late spring and summer. If the trees come from just about anywhere, and they are not dormant then I have learned to expect death, thus I have quit the online buying for the most part. They just can't adjust to the difference in the weather unless I get them when they are totally dormant. I did have very good luck with Dawn Redwood and Bald Cypress that I got early in the spring, but lost maples, beech, quince, and hornbeam purchased later on and all were under 50% shade cloth with morning sun only, good soil and watered when needed. I'll stick with native trees from now on.

Top Bottom