Mugo Pine Advise

BobbyO

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New Mugo pine from nursery stock. Is it too late in the season to do much with this tree (I live in zone 4 Minnesota)? I cleaned out lots of dead needles and extra soil. Didn’t really remove any branches as the visible cuts were to get rid of a few limp, dead nubs. I’m pretty much a novis - this Mugo puts my current tree count at 3 - and I would like to shape this tree up a little bit before the snow flies. This is my first pine and I don’t want to damage a tree with such good potential. I just read Vance Wood’s tutorial and, due to the date, it sounds like I should wait until next year to proceed. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 85FD8871-B378-48AC-A973-A9B717C7CC41.jpeg
    85FD8871-B378-48AC-A973-A9B717C7CC41.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 1B9DD27B-6CEF-46E0-8EA4-C650550ADACA.jpeg
    1B9DD27B-6CEF-46E0-8EA4-C650550ADACA.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 72

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I reckon I'd select one uneccesary branch in the bottom and whack it off.
It should be one that when removed, greatly reduced the risk of knuckle swelling.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice little mugo. You are right, with you being in Minnesota, zone 4, it is probably too late in the year to repot. In spots where you have 4 or more branches, bring the number down to 2 or 3. But because winter is coming, do not take off more than 25 %. Its okay to leave 2 branches and the continuation of the trunk (3 total) at any one point, because you have not styled the tree yet. Keeping 2 at each node leaves you choices for when it is time to style next year. Key is do not take off more than 20 - 25%.

Clean out dead needles, litter, and duff. Basically get it ready for next year.

If I were you, I would repot next year, right after the Summer Solstice. Repot first. Give it all summer to recover, then the following summer do your "full styling". That is the order I would do it. Your pot for next year can be a training pot, should be a training pot. But if you can't resist, a bonsai pot will do. I know there is always a temptation to move trees to bonsai pots quickly. It is necessarily a bad thing.

BobbyO

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I reckon I'd select one uneccesary branch in the bottom and whack it off.
It should be one that when removed, greatly reduced the risk of knuckle swelling.

Sorce
Thanks!

BobbyO

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little mugo. You are right, with you being in Minnesota, zone 4, it is probably too late in the year to repot. In spots where you have 4 or more branches, bring the number down to 2 or 3. But because winter is coming, do not take off more than 25 %. Its okay to leave 2 branches and the continuation of the trunk (3 total) at any one point, because you have not styled the tree yet. Keeping 2 at each node leaves you choices for when it is time to style next year. Key is do not take off more than 20 - 25%.

Clean out dead needles, litter, and duff. Basically get it ready for next year.

If I were you, I would repot next year, right after the Summer Solstice. Repot first. Give it all summer to recover, then the following summer do your "full styling". That is the order I would do it. Your pot for next year can be a training pot, should be a training pot. But if you can't resist, a bonsai pot will do. I know there is always a temptation to move trees to bonsai pots quickly. It is necessarily a bad thing.
Thanks for the sage advice...much appreciated!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
You could remove a branch or two but anything more than that could be dangerous. If you still have the label from the nursery could you check if there is a piggybacked title for these trees, like botanical names Mugo Montana, Mugo Mughus, Mugo Tyrolean, there are a lot of them I would very much like to see how this one was marketed.

BobbyO

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could remove a branch or two but anything more than that could be dangerous. If you still have the label from the nursery could you check if there is a piggybacked title for these trees, like botanical names Mugo Montana, Mugo Mughus, Mugo Tyrolean, there are a lot of them I would very much like to see how this one was marketed.
Jacobsen Mugo Pine
Pinus Mugo ‘Jacobsen’
H 2’-3’
W 4’-5’
Zone 2-7

Top Bottom