Mugo Pine: Yes Virgina....

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can find a mugo pine with a trunk at Home Depot (after looking for 2 years and through many many trees).

Attachments

• 2014MP001_2014b_small.jpg
    2014MP001_2014b_small.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 2014MP001_2014a_small.jpg
    2014MP001_2014a_small.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 2014MP001_2014c_small.jpg
    2014MP001_2014c_small.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Looks like a good un.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good find! Gonna have to start checking out the local stock again.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow.. I don't think I have ever seen such a short mugo with a nice trunk like that. Of course, after all those unnecessary branches are removed, we will be able to see it much better.:D

Rob

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I did remove a few branches but I dont want to take any more off now. Going to let it rest and see how it does. Next year Ill do some more pruning if it is happy.

Last edited:

steve27

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-7
nice find, I need to go check out what Home depot! has!

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Your find is much better than anything I've come across but I'm also not all that choosey. Since I'm just starting out with mugos I figure it is better to have a tree that "has a great personality" than no tree at all. For the price it is worth the gamble on a Home Depot tree.

I look forward to seeing the tree develop.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks All. Yea I was like: "Holy crap look at that!" when I found it among all the other tiny trunked clumps. Got more excited when I peeped inside all the branches and actually found a workable apex in there.

Like I said, it isnt impossible to find, but you will have to look through probably hundreds of trees before you find one. They are like crack to me, every time I go to HD, Lowes or any nursery, I HAVE to look through the mugos because you just never know when you will get lucky.

Where has Vance been? I wanted him to see this nice little mugo!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I don't have a clue why I have missed this post. I continually go to "What's New?" at the top of the page of every post and it has not been there or believe me I would have hit on it. Nice tree and thank you; they are out there is you take the time to look for them. You prove my point. I have had people tell me there must be something about Mugos in Michigan----on more levels than one.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any updates on this one?

It is still alive. I just took it out of the coldframe on Saturday. Not much to show yet. Being a pine, they grow slowly so changes come about slowly as well. I pruned a few more branches last year, that's about it.

I haven't really had a chance to go through the trees that came out of the coldframe yet. Just wanted to get them out unto the sun and start fertilizing. I will say that the coldframe worked awesome. Every tree that went in there not only survived, but came out looking pretty good. Of course the fact that this past winter was pretty mild might have something do with it.

@Vance Wood
I saw a bunch of mugos on the racks and I started digging through them, sticking my hands in the foliage, feeling for trunks. Felt like this one had a nice single trunk instead of multiple skinny ones that we typically see. So I spread the branches out, looked inside and there it was. It was immediately placed in my shopping cart.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That's the point. You have to look for good Mugos by getting your hands dirty.

Top Bottom