Mulberry question

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've found all varieties of mulberry to have some amount of dieback after pruning. What I do is leave a stub between .5 and 1inch long when pruning large branches or doing a trunk chop, when the new areas become active a new lifeline will establish at which point I remove the stub and let callous over as any other tree would.

Aaron

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Funny I find this thread just now, I just saw a tree here for the first time. My buddy said they grow easily from cuttings, so I broke off a long whippy branch and made three cuttings. I put them in gravel with some organics. I hope they strike! I can get more cuttings too. But this ones leaves are really big for bonsai, I kinda had fruit trees in the yard. Do they reduce much? The tree is in the direct sun for 8-10 hours a day so theyre not big from lack of light. The branchtip was attacked recently, probably by leafcutter ants (a real threat to trees here) so I hope its strong enough. It has leafbuds popping. But seriously, not an hour ago I planted them? Que coinciden se!

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
Funny I find this thread just now, I just saw a tree here for the first time. My buddy said they grow easily from cuttings, so I broke off a long whippy branch and made three cuttings. I put them in gravel with some organics. I hope they strike! I can get more cuttings too. But this ones leaves are really big for bonsai, I kinda had fruit trees in the yard. Do they reduce much? The tree is in the direct sun for 8-10 hours a day so theyre not big from lack of light. The branchtip was attacked recently, probably by leafcutter ants (a real threat to trees here) so I hope its strong enough. It has leafbuds popping. But seriously, not an hour ago I planted them? Que coinciden se!

It depends on the species I'm guessing the mulberry you have is probably a white or black mulberry. I know the leaves on my dwarf black mulberry are much smaller that the leaves of native red mulberries. At the largest they're only 4" long and 2" wide.

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Mine is a wild red mullberry that I had been cutting down for years. But I could never get rid of it. When i decided to try bonsai I realized it would be a perfect start. Lucky accident lol.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think it was this thread I said it on.....

But the ones I see...real yellow bark, orange roots, I think White Mulberry,
I've seen 6-8inch leaves...
And 3/4-1in leaves....

The ones that are small are right in fences and always mowed....

Prune crazy...they'll reduce!

Sorce

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess I found a black one. The fruits are black. Ive seen another type with long thin trunks, clump style but they never struck roots for me. But the one I found today is a tree like I saw in Fl.. My buddy says these are easier to root and grow like crazy here. I hope so! For fruit and bonsai. Or just bonsai, but the 4" long, 3" wide or so leaves are pretty big..

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score
This is a size comparison between mulberry leaves. The small leaf on top is the largest leaf I could find on my dwarf black mulberry. The larger leaf underneath is a leaf from a red mulberry. And I've seen much larger red mulberry leaves(up to 12 inches across.)
vwDNTqF.jpg

Here are a few wounds on the dwarf black mulberry in various stages of callousing.
P1Ad3Xp.jpg

Just thought I would share.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the fruit color is the tree name...
The ones I know are black too..

Ever eat em with the bugs in em?

Still Tasty!

Sorce

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Still Tasty!

Sorce
That's one of my favorite things about working at a nursery, I've got basically endless fruit from may when the plums are almost ripe until September when the pomegranates are ready. :D

Aaron

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a size comparison between mulberry leaves. The small leaf on top is the largest leaf I could find on my dwarf black mulberry. The larger leaf underneath is a leaf from a red mulberry. And I've seen much larger red mulberry leaves(up to 12 inches across.)
vwDNTqF.jpg

Here are a few wounds on the dwarf black mulberry in various stages of callousing.
P1Ad3Xp.jpg

Just thought I would share.
Thanks for sharing. Those leaves look just like what I found yesterday. So now Im sure theyre mulberries, not something wierd like a blackberry tree that I never heard of. Which could happen here, eAsily..

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You guys catch sight of any monkeys or weasels?

GroveKeeper

Shohin
Reaction score

Still Tasty!

Sorce

The morus rubra fruit can be a dark maroonish purple but I believe the nigra fruit tend to be as dark as a blackberry. They're also supposed to taste better but my trees haven't given me any yet.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The morus rubra fruit can be a dark maroonish purple but I believe the nigra fruit tend to be as dark as a blackberry. They're also supposed to taste better but my trees haven't given me any yet.
The kind I found are like big blackberries. But I couldnt reach a mature fruit to taste. My family in NC have one they planted and they say its gonna go nuts this year. I hope mine will root! I took off most of the leaves and all the fruit. Idk what else to do to help them..a bit of rooting hormone in the water?

Top Bottom