Multi-trunk Japanese maple

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hoping get some opinions as the best course of action in the development of a multi-trunk Ueno Yama that I am working on. Each of the trunks was air-layered two seasons ago. The planting was initially 5 trunks and was planted in a large container last year. There was very little growth in the first year and one of the trunks died leaving 4 remaining. At that point, I decided to plant the tree in the ground to gain vigor. This worked very well and with moderate feeding, the tree exploded with growth this year. This is a picture of the tree now (just looks like a bush).

IMG_4802.JPG

Here is a photo of the 4 remaining trunks.

IMG_4803.JPG

Though there is no size reference here the largest trunk is a little over an inch in diameter and obviously there is very little movement in the lower trunks. My objective is to have the trunks fuse as in the image below (can't find reference or who owns this tree).

dad62d0f3dc49cec6546747814983ec0.jpg

I plan to work with the roots this spring to position the roots more radially and reposition the trunks to try to more closely approximate them and allow fusion to occur more quickly. I would love input from more experienced people on how to manage the top of the tree. I see three options.

1. Allow it to continue to grow freely which will most rapidly increase the size of each trunk, allowing the trunks to fuse in the shortest period of time. However, If I do this I will continue to have very little movement in the lower trunks which I think will be difficult to correct and will result in large scars to manage down the road. I would also add another trunk down the road to give me a total of 5 trunks and allow me to fill any major deficits in the nebari.

2. I could go ahead and trunk chop each, allowing me to start to develop some movement and taper in the trunks but this is going to drastically limit growth and slow down the development of the base.

3. Lastly I could treat this as Peter Adams suggests in his book 'bonsai with Japanese Maples' where he discuses developing nebari. Cut every trunk very low, then let multiple leaders grow strongly until good root flare is developed. I can the re-select trunks to develop at that point.

IMG_4804.JPG

These were my three thoughts but I am open to other suggestions or anyone's opinion on good next steps for this tree.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 21616

@b3bowen

Looks like a great project!

The tree in your photo is a Walter Pall tree:

http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/2009/11/maple-development.html

I like the option #2 that you propose.

I am in a similar situation with a Katsura 'clump' project; my trunks are straight (they are each 18-24 inches long, and 3-4 cm in diameter).

I plan to prune the trunks back to the first (or first two) sets of of buds, and allow the new growth and/or back budding to give both direction and taper to my trunk lines.

I may not prune all of the trunks in the same season, in order to create variation in trunk thicknesses (cf. the comments section in the Walter Pall link i provided). Walter Pall uses sacrifice branches to achieve this.

I am going to do this once, and maybe twice, before planting the tree into the ground (or in a large pot) because I would like the trunks to take shape and settle into their forms as the nebari develops. I may at some point place a tile under the tree ('ebihara method') to encourage the nebari to grow as I would like it to.

This may not be the fastest way to get it done.

Top Bottom