Multiple Azaleas in one pot

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Great thread. I love experimentation. I've got several going at the moment. Chopped 70% of roots off nursery stock, barefooted and washed one, put in generic bonsai soil. Another, did the pie slice. Another about half and half. I know I'll have to watch moisture levels, but I think it can be done. Haven't broke down to but kanume yet. Not sure what the real benefit would be other than a supposed acidity, which can be adjusted other ways.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went and looked for them after I saw the OP. The only one I saw was saaaaaddddd looking. So he got left at Wally World. They are pretty azaleas.
I would have taken the saaaad one if it was the only one, politely asked if a discount was possible due to its condition and then nursed it back to health. But hey that’s just me 🤣🤣

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would have taken the saaaad one if it was the only one, politely asked if a discount was possible due to its condition and then nursed it back to health. But hey that’s just me 🤣🤣
I would usually do the exact same thing but this poor little fella was a crispy critter 🥺

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
You can wait until after blooming. Remove spent flowers. Give the azalea a light dose of fertilizer, give the azalea a 2 to 4 week rest, then repot, you will be doing a middle of growing season repot. But by giving the azalea a couple weeks after removing flowers, you will have allowed it to recover a little from the stress of blooming. The fertilizer will have allowed it to rebuild a little of its resources.
So this is what I did. I removed as much of the peat based soil as I could gently do without damaging the fine roots. I waited a couple of months to see if they were going to make it. I noticed they were setting flower buds and thought maybe super early for spring flowers. Sure enough, they are wanting to bloom now. :) So far, so good.....Valentine azalea2.jpgValentine azalea.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Azaleas ain’t no Shrinking Violets ☺️

The majority of our Nuccios azaleas here were rootwashed and uppotted in the past two years. Still 10 are growing out in the back yard until next year perhaps. Lost a couple of the small ones received during CV19 due to too aggressive root pruning for nebari development when potting. Live and learn.

cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this is what I did. I removed as much of the peat based soil as I could gently do without damaging the fine roots. I waited a couple of months to see if they were going to make it. I noticed they were setting flower buds and thought maybe super early for spring flowers. Sure enough, they are wanting to bloom now. :) So far, so good.....View attachment 449362View attachment 449363
All 4 of mine survived and are growing too Carol. Now we just need to get them through the winter.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Not to worry.

Likely not the wisest move to repot now anyways.

An extra year in the pot should be ok with good care.

The latecomers here usually get planted in a protected area until spring… not sure if that would work by you.

Cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
So all 4 are doing great and blooming but my thoughts go to winter. Of course we've been gone for 5 days....so we'll see tomorrow. If these are Florist azaleas, what should my overwintering look like? All my Satsuki's go into my detached, unheated garage. I don't think it gets much below freezing in there but I'm not certain, depends on the winter.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So all 4 are doing great and blooming but my thoughts go to winter. Of course we've been gone for 5 days....so we'll see tomorrow. If these are Florist azaleas, what should my overwintering look like? All my Satsuki's go into my detached, unheated garage. I don't think it gets much below freezing in there but I'm not certain, depends on the winter.

If your other azaleas survived winters in your garage, there are decent odds these will too.

Here’s one idea…

There are ways one can increase the odds, insulating the pots/media seems appropriate to me. For example taking a larger nursery pot, say a 1 gallon, that your pots will fit inside. Fill with sifted bark part way, ensuring the drain holes will drain. Insert a pot with a tree and slip bark up the sides. Bark the top of the pot. Water before freezes are predicted.

This also makes it easy to move the pots if that’s needed.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction.

cheers
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
If your other azaleas survived winters in your garage, there are decent odds these will too.

Here’s one idea…

There are ways one can increase the odds, insulating the pots/media seems appropriate to me. For example taking a larger nursery pot, say a 1 gallon, that your pots will fit inside. Fill with sifted bark part way, ensuring the drain holes will drain. Insert a pot with a tree and slip bark up the sides. Bark the top of the pot. Water before freezes are predicted.

This also makes it easy to move the pots if that’s needed.

Hope this helps get you in the right direction.

cheers
DSD sends
Great idea, thanks! I really won't have room for them inside anyway and I want them to survive.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Carol, I am putting my four split up azaleas in a coldframe. If the make it, great. If they don't, oh well.

Top Bottom