My dwarf umbrella tree that I’ve had for 2.5 years isn’t doing well

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
This tree was the first bonsai I ever got. I took horrible care of it for a while and recently started learning a little more. I was going to repot it soon because I noticed some roots curling around the pot but I cut one that was sticking out of the soil. After I cut it, the tree started to look like this.

Attachments

• 3AB342BF-3BC9-4F12-A053-CB132BBF971C.jpeg
    3AB342BF-3BC9-4F12-A053-CB132BBF971C.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 62
  • CBE2AEC1-24B7-4DC3-A062-47BA91FFE6F4.jpeg
    CBE2AEC1-24B7-4DC3-A062-47BA91FFE6F4.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 38
  • F4FDEA9B-2B14-4FC8-B5A7-82F72A6B6D02.jpeg
    F4FDEA9B-2B14-4FC8-B5A7-82F72A6B6D02.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 4E0F8707-2480-4412-A74C-A48D1C4A4FD0.jpeg
    4E0F8707-2480-4412-A74C-A48D1C4A4FD0.jpeg
    192.2 KB · Views: 57

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
Took it out of the pot to see the roots and saw this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 62

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How long have you had it, and what conditions has it been kept in? How big was the root you cut?

That doesn't seem like allot of root, but I have no experience with these as bonsai. They are tropical, and the best time for working on most things tropical is when they're actively growing.
I would put it right back in the pot, and keep somewhere warm and bright, mist at least daily if you can't keep it humid.

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
Duh. Your thread title says how long you've had it. 🤦
Still, conditions and such?
It’s winter right now so it’s in my bedroom which doubles as a plant room. I try to keep the humidity at 50% at the very least but it is sorta difficult. For the first year it was kept just inside because I didn’t know any better, then I moved it outside. It hasn’t grown much after I started moving it outside and this is the first issue I’ve ever had with it

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most likely too much water. When soil stays constantly wet the roots can rot. Especially likely for indoor plants.
Usually cutting off a single root ore even a few roots won't even bother a tree but maybe that surface root was one of the few that had not drowned.

Schefflera are very hardy and can grow easily from cuttings. It will try to stay alive if you give it a chance. Back into a pot with good potting soil. Try a deeper nursery type pot to help overcome too much water but same pot if you have no other option. Keep it somewhere reasonably warm because these are tropicals and hate cold. Keep the soil just barely damp. Cross fingers and hope.
A plastic cover over the whole plant and pot may help it recover. It is almost like a big cutting now and needs to be treated carefully until new roots grow but I am optimistic about its chances.
Scefflera are one of the few bonsai species that can cope with indoors. Definitely keep it indoors if temps are low.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hmm.. I agree with everything already said.

That tree isn't happy if that's all the roots it's throwing... I'd give it more ROOM, then actively focus only on health for a full season...
;) Your tree will appreciate this.
It needs to build itself a "foundation"... of root-structure as well as "sugar and carb reserves"

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
Hmm.. I agree with everything already said.

That tree isn't happy if that's all the roots it's throwing... I'd give it more ROOM, then actively focus only on health for a full season...
;) Your tree will appreciate this.
It needs to build itself a "foundation"... of root-structure as well as "sugar and carb reserves"
Should I take it out of the bonsai pot and put it in a nursery one?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well... it says YESTERDAY that you had it "bare-rooted"... where did it go from there?

Transplanting/Repotting/root disruption is the most invasive and strenuous-to-the-plant procedures that we perform.. It's the equivalent of open-heart surgery....

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
Well... it says YESTERDAY that you had it "bare-rooted"... where did it go from there?

Transplanting/Repotting/root disruption is the most invasive and strenuous-to-the-plant procedures that we perform.. It's the equivalent of open-heart surgery....
I didn’t bare root it. I removed it from the pot to examine the roots then saw it barely had any. I repot it in more well draining soil and put it in a makeshift greenhouse (clear storage container)

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’d do exactly as @Shibui suggested.

A deeper pot may also help with keeping it planted & secure enough without wires, because your going to want to use a soil ‘open’ enough to prevent further root problems.

Misting regularly as roots are struggling to support the plant now.

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
I’ll move it into a nursery pot tonight then. Should I mist the leaves daily or the soil?

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ll move it into a nursery pot tonight then. Should I mist the leaves daily or the soil?
Is it still or of its pot? Or are you reporting it twice in one day? Both are a bad idea, especially for a plant that is already weak.
Prepare before you remove a tree from is pot.

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
Is it still or of its pot? Or are you reporting it twice in one day? Both are a bad idea, especially for a plant that is already weak.
I took it out of the original soil (that soil is almost 3 years old) and back in the bonsai pot. I threw out the old soil

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Leave it in whatever pot it's in!
Repotting again will just stress the tree more.

The rest is for future reference. Right now you just need to wait and see.
Mist the leaves and trunk. Make sure you're cover is ventilated so the tree can breath.
Chopstick trick: stick a wooden/bamboo chopstick or skewer into the soil, and leave it there. Use it like a dip stick to check the soil moisture. Water when the stick is almost but not quite dry.

PlantsNFishin

Sapling
Reaction score
Leave it in whatever pot it's in!
Repotting again will just stress the tree more.

The rest is for future reference. Right now you just need to wait and see.
Mist the leaves and trunk. Make sure you're cover is ventilated so the tree can breath.
Chopstick trick: stick a wooden/bamboo chopstick or skewer into the soil, and leave it there. Use it like a dip stick to check the soil moisture. Water when the stick is almost but not quite dry.
I usually open the lid once a day. I also need to invest in chopsticks

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I agree with preparing before, but repotting trees a couple of times in a few days won't cause any more stress than it has already had. After a week or 2 new roots may have started and that's when a second repot can be damaging.
I think the deeper pot will be so much better for the tree that I'd encourage the second transplant.

Sno

Mame
Reaction score
I think the problem is it has dried out at one stage so the roots have died off . I strike cuttings of these in a glass of water all the time . They don’t mind wet feet . The mother plant that I strike the cuttings from is a root over rock that sits permanently in a bowl of water . It definitely won’t hurt to plant it in deep pot for a while to grow new roots just don’t let it dry out . This is a photo of mine . I live in a sub alpine environment so for nine months of the year it’s inside with only natural light from a nearby window . It could live inside permanently but it’s easier for me to remember to water if it’s outside with all my other trees . For me it’s more of an indoor pot plant

image.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How I miss this one?

Welcome to Crazy!

Best stick with fishing!

Nah....but seriously, get a Riverside local and be happy!

Sorce

Top Bottom