My Elm Stump

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This tree had an air layer taken off it and was chopped to the first branch earlier this year.

Right after chopping, it grew like crazy...then a mean case of black spot fungus came through and wiped out 95% of the leaves on it...now it's back again and looking ok...
I noticed several shoots coming out of my cut putty, on the bottom of the cut.
Happy to see them there, now I know it won't die back down to the roots, for sure... So I was curious and peeled back the putty and saw dozens of little green spots on the edge...
Some are obviously shoots, but some are so tiny...are they all shoots they to bust out???
Or am I seeing the cambium doing something weird here???
In either case, should I not use cut putty?
Thank for looking!
KIMG1329.JPGKIMG1331.JPGKIMG1334.JPGKIMG1332.JPGKIMG1333.JPGKIMG1335.JPGKIMG1339.JPGKIMG1337.JPGKIMG1338.JPG

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It definetly ĺooks like tons of buds at the cut site. Like all the elm stumps we've seen growing out of asphalt in cities all across the continent. It bodes well for your tree healing that up. Hopefully it will start rolling over the cut wood.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It definetly ĺooks like tons of buds at the cut site. Like all the elm stumps we've seen growing out of asphalt in cities all across the continent. It bodes well for your tree healing that up. Hopefully it will start rolling over the cut wood.
I guess I'll leave the putty off of it, and let em run...
Thanks for chiming in!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am always amazed when I see different trees chopped right down in the city, and they just start growing like crazy! It's not like there is someone thinking about timing, or after care. Elms and softwood maples seem to grow like weeds.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I am always amazed when I see different trees chopped right down in the city, and they just start growing like crazy! It's not like there is someone thinking about timing, or after care. Elms and softwood maples seem to grow like weeds.
There is a silver maple in DC that was chopped down because it was old, large and mostly rotted out...in the last 6 years its grown into a massive clump tree....very impressive.
I'll try to get a pic some day...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are all buds. It's what healthy elms fo ar a cut. I dont even use cut paste and see this all of the time. They will do it out the ends of branch stubs also. No real need to cut back to a branch with elms. Cut them where you want them to grow something new.

Top Bottom