My first JBP

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b9
You’ll want to get it in a proper container,
I have read your threads whilst learning about the species and appreciate your input

I like the idea of air pruning and I'm using that with most of my deciduous is this proper for pines?

I'm concerned the boxes may not be long lived enough for the amount of time this is likely to want 'in the ground'

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I have read your threads whilst learning about the species and appreciate your input

I like the idea of air pruning and I'm using that with most of my deciduous is this proper for pines?

I'm concerned the boxes may not be long lived enough for the amount of time this is likely to want 'in the ground'
I don’t like the idea of air-pruning. Boxes are superior to colendars for growing out trees.

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This doesn’t seem sustainable. Burlap will rot, and trees need to be in stable containers so the roots can establish. You’ll want to get it in a proper container, in proper soil, at the proper time. JBP can take lots of rain in the right soil, but you can kill them easily with the wrong conditions.
This is all valid but in the first 4 weeks of owning the thing, I wasn't able to get it to dry out. We had a super wet spring. I had it in 2/3rds pummace and it was still getting yellow needles. I even covered the soil with a tarp to block the rain. I pulled it from the pummace and put it in a colander. It still has its original root ball so i will have to address that in subsequent years. Finally, I am able to water it on a regular cadence. I will address a more proper potting solution next spring. Most likely, I will just keep it in the colander after the burlap falls apart.

Top Bottom