My Great Basin bristlecone pine (Pinus longaeva) Experiment

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have photos of your process?

I am tempted to buy a large nursery tree that has back budded and start prepping for shallower potting and eventually deadwood.
Not of any process going on. Several pics of tree in another Bristlecone thread😊. If coming to town feel free to contact(in advance)and visit.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not of any process going on. Several pics of tree in another Bristlecone thread😊. If coming to town feel free to contact(in advance)and visit.
Other thread is(actually someone elses):

My Bristlecone Pine project​

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
July 18th 2022, it’s doing well plenty of new needles but hasn’t grown too much still under an inch and a half if that. I give it fertilizer rarely atm once so far half way through summer. I may do a pine bark compost mulch layer on top during fall haven’t decided yet.

Attachments

• 85D7F42D-9890-4453-A7E0-D8CEE4AFD507.jpeg
    85D7F42D-9890-4453-A7E0-D8CEE4AFD507.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 60

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
July 18th 2022, it’s doing well plenty of new needles but hasn’t grown too much still under an inch and a half if that. I give it fertilizer rarely atm once so far half way through summer. I may do a pine bark compost mulch layer on top during fall haven’t decided yet.
Looks pretty normal to me. But then again, I'm growing longaeva at around 27 meters above sea level in Europe. I think mine are close to 4 or maybe even 5 years old now. From seed.

IMG_20220718_204734.jpg

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weekly fertilizer can only help growth. Still will not grow like weed tree.

Reaction score
Mine are halfway through their second summer, and don’t look much bigger.

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Maybe this might spell the end for little Bristlecone, this what happened https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRPpjTWS/
Random Dog was thirsty and chewed it in half I see no roots left I looked hard.. I put it in container with my cedar cuttings I’m trying to Propagate it was literally my only option. If it roots you will probably hear a more about this tree but this maybe the end.

Attachments

• 8C94AA8F-E44E-44E3-9416-5F8F0E2A55A9.jpeg
    8C94AA8F-E44E-44E3-9416-5F8F0E2A55A9.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 41

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe this might spell the end for little Bristlecone, this what happened https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRPpjTWS/
Random Dog was thirsty and chewed it in half I see no roots left I looked hard.. I put it in container with my cedar cuttings I’m trying to Propagate it was literally my only option. If it roots you will probably hear a more about this tree but this maybe the end.
That sucks

Antony82

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
8E20446E-7333-49EC-85F2-CBF88A83AF17.jpeg
Does not appear like it is going to make it.. I recently bought Aristata and they seem to be quite well vs Longaeva. Much faster grower and I pretty sure it also has incredible bore resistance. I will probably restart with new Longaeva seeds but honestly I thinking Aristata maybe better or an Aristata Hybrid if that is possible. I will not give up on this project but I’m thinking the project is already over. I have this plant in basement under a timed Led grow light and if even 1% of this plant is alive I know it can rebound just doesn’t really appear to be showing any signs of that happening.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 462798
Does not appear like it is going to make it.. I recently bought Aristata and they seem to be quite well vs Longaeva. Much faster grower and I pretty sure it also has incredible bore resistance. I will probably restart with new Longaeva seeds but honestly I thinking Aristata maybe better or an Aristata Hybrid if that is possible. I will not give up on this project but I’m thinking the project is already over. I have this plant in basement under a timed Led grow light and if even 1% of this plant is alive I know it can rebound just doesn’t really appear to be showing any signs of that happening.
Can please add home location to profile:confused:? Both doing well here presently.

Top Bottom