My Happy Little Buxus microphylla 'harlandii'

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I honestly am curious if the soil it's planted it causes the scent. I have an American wisteria who many claim also smells musky/cat pee scent. But...have yet to smell it from my own tree. I don't discredit those who have smelled a poignant odor. But, curious if the chemical balance of the soil also plays a factor. Just my musings...which have nothing to hold a candle to in the wind.

I don't know if the soil composition has much to do with it. It has more to do with age, the mass of the plant and number of plants in a garden. Older Buxus Sempervirens with a lot of foliage, planted in dense allees will smell. Bonsai sempervirens can also smell, but it's not nearly as noticeable.

Same for wisteria. Old wisteria does have a very distinct odor --not talking about the flowers. Walk through a forest or plantation that has been overrun with the for decades and you will smell it. It's similar to the pee scent, but not exactly the same.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
While I'm sure GrimLore appreciates your input, he is quite skilled in the art of bonsai.

All good! And thank you for the compliment!

I know. And I am sure he knows I know.

No worries Jelle! I understood the humor! As you know I am familiar!

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I honestly am curious if the soil it's planted it causes the scent. I have an American wisteria who many claim also smells musky/cat pee scent. But...have yet to smell it from my own tree. I don't discredit those who have smelled a poignant odor. But, curious if the chemical balance of the soil also plays a factor. Just my musings...which have nothing to hold a candle to in the wind.

I am certain it has a lot to do with climate and conditions ;)

I don't know if the soil composition has much to do with it. It has more to do with age, the mass of the plant and number of plants in a garden. Older Buxus Sempervirens with a lot of foliage, planted in dense allees will smell. Bonsai sempervirens can also smell, but it's not nearly as noticeable.
Same for wisteria. Old wisteria does have a very distinct odor --not talking about the flowers. Walk through a forest or plantation that has been overrun with the for decades and you will smell it. It's similar to the pee scent, but not exactly the same.

At the farm we have both and obviously overgrown, old, etc... Neither emit an odor as described. The area they both grow in is rich Humic soil and the water source is a runoff from the pond which is 100 percent Spring fed. Being Humic you can smell the soil on hot days but no other obvious odors. I am going with location, climate, and conditions on this one.

Grimmy

Top Bottom