My packed yard (WARNING Picture heavy)

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that must be nice. My garage only stays about ten degrees warmer than outside so I'm limited to how many tropicals I can keep in my office without looking like a hoarder. :rolleyes: I sure would like one of the four though.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow that must be nice. My garage only stays about ten degrees warmer than outside so I'm limited to how many tropicals I can keep in my office without looking like a hoarder. :rolleyes: I sure would like one of the four though.

I am planning on letting go 3 of my logwood and one of them is the 2nd to the last on pic #3 (left to right). If you are interested, PM me your email and I can send you details and extra pics.

My garage is likely staying warmer since only one wall and the roll-up door is exposed, it is probably being heated from the ceiling actually. :)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm impressed Dario, lots of good thanks there. I would say its time to downsize but you are saying you have time for all that and more, so more power to you.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm impressed Dario, lots of good thanks there. I would say its time to downsize but you are saying you have time for all that and more, so more power to you.

Thanks. I have time but no space. As it is, the trees are really cramped (as you can see). No place to spread their wings and not getting enough sunlight on some areas. :(

agraham

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Andy,

The 4 biggest in the 2nd and 3rd pics are Logwood, aka Campeche, and aka Bloodwood. It is a tropical that needs winter protection even here in TX.

Where in South TX are you? :)

I'm in Harlingen. Where did you get the Campeches? Very impressive!

Andy

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Dario, I have a need for some material and you have a need to purge. Sound like a possible transaction? Nice boxwoods btw. I am still working on chasing this one down.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let me know what you are looking for (either here or via PM) and let's see if we can work something out. :)

If that is mine, I will start by removing the lowest left branch. Review all branch fork areas and reduce down to 2 branches (as much as possible). Branches that are too leggy should be reduced down to the last bud area.

Check if you prefer the current orientation now as compared to the tree tilted to the left (after the left branch is removed).

View attachment 40364

After it is "cleaned"...start a thread with new pics and let's see if it need to be reduced further.

BTW, I'll also probe under those roots if there is a better nebari hiding under. I usually just poke/stab it all around with a bbq skewer an inch or two away from the trunk. You will know if you are hitting big roots. ;)

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If you don't mind me asking, how do you get so many trees? Do you have a nice local nursery?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
An excellent collection for only two years!

Give it another two and you'll have some nice trees coming along. :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you don't mind me asking, how do you get so many trees? Do you have a nice local nursery?

IIRC, less than a dozen of these are bought locally. I actually purchased more online (eBay, here, etc.) than locally. But more than half of these were collected for free (thanks to Craigslist). :)

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Let me know what you are looking for (either here or via PM) and let's see if we can work something out. :)

If that is mine, I will start by removing the lowest left branch. Review all branch fork areas and reduce down to 2 branches (as much as possible). Branches that are too leggy should be reduced down to the last bud area.

Check if you prefer the current orientation now as compared to the tree tilted to the left (after the left branch is removed).

View attachment 40364

After it is "cleaned"...start a thread with new pics and let's see if it need to be reduced further.

BTW, I'll also probe under those roots if there is a better nebari hiding under. I usually just poke/stab it all around with a bbq skewer an inch or two away from the trunk. You will know if you are hitting big roots. ;)

Good luck! :)

Thanks. Yea I've seen you post on several boxwoods so I thought you could offer some advice. How many times a year do you chop yours back as they start pushing growth lower? I've done one this year and there is some growth down lower. Just don't want to shock the tree too much

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How many times a year do you chop yours back as they start pushing growth lower? I've done one this year and there is some growth down lower. Just don't want to shock the tree too much

I usually do drastic cut/chop/pruning at collection and reduce as I see the need. Here in my area, these basically grow year round...with some slow down during summer. It is good to give it some rest and let it grow and recover some before doing anything drastic again. That said, on healthy boxwood, I usually pinch them regularly to produce ramified branches.

Here is one I am working on.
http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?8016-Collected-Boxwood-(Buxus)

That progression is about 15 months from collection and I changed it a bit more still. :D I expect it to start growing vigorously next month as the temps go lower to 90s.

BTW, in case you missed my preaching, use cut paste!!! ;)

Good luck!

Bonsaiboy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
You said collected for free.... How in the world did you do that? Also, how do you over-winter all these? Sorry for the questions, just trying to get an idea on how to do stuff.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm very impressed, Dario. I don't seem to find many craigslist offers in my ao. Keep us posted on some of your works in progress.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You said collected for free.... How in the world did you do that? Also, how do you over-winter all these?

Only the tropical trees need to be protected. Those (about 25?) go in my garage. The rest stay where they are during winter.

Maybe I got lucky. 2 years prior my start with bonsai, we had major drought here. Lots of landscape plants died and yards got "patchy". Homeowners re-landscaped and wanted the plants replaced. Some did xeriscape. I guess I was in the right place at the right time and collected away! :)

This year I only collected 10 or so. On one where I collected 6, I could have taken 14. I gave 8 to my friend since my yard (as you can see) is already full. Story is posted here http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?11133-Latest-boxwood-score

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been keeping an eye on craigslist for the past year and have seen almost nothing that would even be worth trying to collect around here. Maybe you did get extremely lucky! Timing is everything, right?

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chris. Yes. :)

Believe it or not, I had an opportunity to collect 35 or so HUGE and old boxwood. I had to pass since it is all or nothing and someone else is lined up who will take it all. I wanted to call my bonsai club buddies but that would take lots of coordination and time frame allowed is really narrow. :(

Top Bottom