My shohin coast live oaks in development

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Remembering basic and advanced training there 1966 was not fond of the place. Dust, poison oak, fire ants, Platoon sergeants made very hard to appreciate great oaks. Would like to go back and hike there sometime now. Never believed possible to feel that way😖.

Yeah, ticks and poison oak all over the place! But great oaks. Let me know if you're down this way. We can hike some trails.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I didn’t see Switzerland on their exclusion list:

I’ve bought from them and they were great.

Believe Jonsteens was part of Giant Sequoia nursery that was burned out this summer😫.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, 100% pumice. The soil I'm digging in is so loose and sandy that it really wasn't around to remove when I got home. I dug down to find the first set of lateral roots and cut just below that. In this area that was about 6 inches below the soil line. So all of them have some roots, but not a lot. Yes, I was advised to defoliate so I did almost complete defoliation. I left a leaf or two on some limbs. Those went brown and fell off on their own, mostly. Almost all the trees have started to bud out so I'm extremely hopeful. I'll let you know how it goes.
I collected a coast live oak from my yard a month ago and it's leaves all turned crispy and yellow. This comment gives me some hope that it's not just dying. The big ones I have are already putting out new growth, so I hope this one starts to do something soon.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected a coast live oak from my yard a month ago and it's leaves all turned crispy and yellow. This comment gives me some hope that it's not just dying. The big ones I have are already putting out new growth, so I hope this one starts to do something soon.
I'm told they do better with defoliation. I've not tried leaving all the leaves on. I'm also told if the tree sheds its leaves mostly all at once after collection that's a pretty good sign. If they slowly brown and fall off a few at a time over weeks, that's bad. Wishing you the best.

Top Bottom