My Shohin Collection ....

No !!! I don't keep it all year round. Picture was taken afte bonsai show and new moss was put on for the show...

img_8221a-jpg.95501

Ok Peter...first let me say that your trees are absolutely amazing and I have the utmost respect for your talents and trees!!

However, I feel short changed by this one... as I notice every needle on it is cut.

Is this cheating when it comes to displaying trees? It feels like it to me...not a major cheat but a cheat nonetheless

Ok Peter...first let me say that your trees are absolutely amazing and I have the utmost respect for your talents and trees!!

However, I feel short changed by this one... as I notice every needle on it is cut.

Is this cheating when it comes to displaying trees? It feels like it to me...not a major cheat but a cheat nonetheless

Believe it or not.. they are not cut and i don't practice cutting my needles in my blackpine... It's all about timing when in comes to needle reduction...

I'm so glad you don't cut needles Peter! I'm sorry for wrongly suggesting the needles were cut...but you have to admit that every needle tip is slightly off color in that photo! Whether it is the tree or the lighting in the photo i'm not sure....

From you reaction, it is also nice to know that someone else feels like cutting needles for display is cheating!

Several years ago at the Carolina Bonsai show a jbp shohin with cut needles was given a best in show award. That choice left a bad taste in my mouth even though the guest artist claims that it is accepted practice...I suspect that the person was just trying to hide a mistake. We work too hard to make perfect little trees, to let something like cutting needles be an accepted practice.

Its one thing to do it for horticultural reasons on trees in training, but quite another to do it to make it appear that you have achieved something that you haven't.

Thanks against n for clarifying Peter!

Back
Top Bottom