My Swamp Cypress

Reaction score
Hi all,

I thought I would upload one of my non Australian native plants.

It is a swamp cypress of course. I did the carving of the trunk about 25 years ago and have just recently potted the tree down into a shallower pot with a lighter mix.

It is about 95cm high or 36 ins and the base is about 30cm or 12 ins across.

I have had the tree for about 30 years and as far as I know it has never been in the ground; I did grow it in water trays for about 10 years but not recently.

It is early summer here although the real heat hasn't started ; so the tree is still a bit sparse but will put out a lot of growth soon.

Grant

Attachments

• Taxodium on 31st October 2011 - Copy.JPG
    Taxodium on 31st October 2011 - Copy.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 275

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice Grant! Your carving is excellent. I have seen cypress trees in the wild with scars just like that. Thanks for sharing.

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
very nice grant,you have some beautiful trees,now you guys just need to learn how to play rugby + cricket:mad:

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
That's an absolutely beautiful trunk!

Reaction score
Thanks all,

This swampy is so vigorous that I have had to recarve where the cambium has rolled over around the front of the tree a couple of times.

Grant

Reaction score
It's ok if you ignore this request, but do you have any earlier pics?

Hi,

I looked back and nothing older than 2006 and it has not significantly changed since then but here we are.

The two photos on the left are from 2006, the hands around the trunk is 2010 and the one on the right is 2010 before it went down into a shallower pot.

Grant

Attachments

• 2006.JPG
    2006.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Autumn 2006.JPG
    Autumn 2006.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Hands around trunk.JPG
    Hands around trunk.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Before start of work.JPG
    Before start of work.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not to offend you, but I just noticed something I thought I might point out for others to learn from (as I just did). I initially commented on how natural your carving looked, and then I saw the older pics above (post #9) and thought how unnatural the carving looked. I scrolled up to the top of the page to have another look and noticed at the last repotting you turned the tree counterclockwise a bit. This small turn made all the difference in the world in my perception of the scar. Did you do that intentionally, or was it just happenstance? Either way, it worked out great in the end. Again, thanks for sharing. You just taught me something!

Reaction score
Hi,

You are correct in that the slight more side on effect looks better than 5 years ago and of course the tree, base and carving has matured a little as well in the mean time. I would say that at the most recent repot I was really evaluating the tree as a whole and that is how it turned out.
The carving now has more of a feeling of depth and some hidden areas.

Grant

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a real beauty of a tree! It looks like a spot I would pick to fish for Crappie around the roots of the tree.

ed

Reaction score
re : My Swamp Cypress

its so beautiful grant.It is difficult to comprehend the immense size, age and stature of the General Grant Tree, but it is easy to let your mind and spirit rise as its trunk carries your gaze toward the skies

Locksmith Cypress

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for sharing such a wonderful tree.

I can't stop imagining how this would look styled as a flat top and I sure love the image I am seeing. :D

wySaeewzut

Seed
Reaction score
hi,
really nice plant....it's looking so beautiful....thank you for sharing picture of this wonderful plant....
I did not see this type of plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is the most beautiful BC I've ever seen! I'm in the process of doing one myself and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow.. That is beautiful.. The carving is so natural looking. This thread is 1 1/2 years old. I am not sure if the poster is still here.

Rob

Top Bottom