My visit to my uncles house in Puerto Rico

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would try and become my uncles favorite nephew!;) Amazing collection.
Haha he’s given me trees throughout the years and I have tried in the past long ago to bring them home but they just die in a short time.
There is one that I want and will see if I can get it locally.
Will post pics in a few

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rincon. Donde esta el flamboyant?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I learned to surf there back in the late 70s. I lived there with my grandparents. Puntas has the best surfing in nov through feb. but be careful massive undertows. Domes beach is where it’s at.
Enjoy

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lately with the change in climate surf season peaks from OCT-FEB... Tubos in Manati and La Pared in Luquillo are getting pretty decent waves, but the northwest is still the best. According to my cousin Gas Chamber in Aguadilla was pretty good 2 years ago.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is an elm tree. Just in case you want to know what it is
The tree in your last picture is a chinese elm btw.
Noooo... so you're saying that a zone 9 tree can survive and thrive in zone 12-13??? who would have known. 🤪

Little sarcasm there... so many times I read about this dormant periods (chill hours) required for some trees and I :rolleyes: and think about why would people come up with that stuff. Granted I do know there are a lot of species from cold regions that will not survive in the heat and species that are tropical that won't live in the cold... but recently I was looking at acquiring a pomegranate and on the website stated that for fruiting the tree needed X amount of chill hours. They must have never been to the tropics where the lowest temp barely reaches mid-high 70's and seen pomegranates bursting with fruits.

With some many pomegranate bonsai trees emerging lately, you could ask your uncle to collect one and work on it. They grow super quick in PR.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Noooo... so you're saying that a zone 9 tree can survive and thrive in zone 12-13??? who would have known. 🤪

Little sarcasm there... so many times I read about this dormant periods (chill hours) required for some trees and I :rolleyes: and think about why would people come up with that stuff. Granted I do know there are a lot of species from cold regions that will not survive in the heat and species that are tropical that won't live in the cold... but recently I was looking at acquiring a pomegranate and on the website stated that for fruiting the tree needed X amount of chill hours. They must have never been to the tropics where the lowest temp barely reaches mid-high 70's and seen pomegranates bursting with fruits.

With some many pomegranate bonsai trees emerging lately, you could ask your uncle to collect one and work on it. They grow super quick in PR.
There are exceptions to every rule, and Chinese Elm is one, but it's not that some trees can live anywhere, it is that some species have several families that all look like each other but are adapted to different zone ranges. These are the trees that croak "for no reason" when taken to another zone which is why we need to know where the tree came from and be careful about acclimatizing new stock. Chinese Elm is from a broad range of zones in China, or better said the families are from a broad range of zones.

Top Bottom