My year around bonsai work in the Inland Empire, CA

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know. pH paper is only a ball park guess anyway. It is affected by moisture, sun light, and age. I have seen two different packs give different results.
I agree. I used same pH paper for both tamarix fluid and tap water in the same condition and same time, so it should be relatively acceptable result.
My explanation is that ethylene produced from the crushed tamarix was metabolized into ethanol which change pH from acid to alkaline . I wish I have à resource to do more investigation!
Thụ Thoại

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is there anyone here using Epsom salt for plant? Epsom salt in gardening is not new. It has been a secret for years.
I have been using it since 8/2017 for one of my experiments. Recently I decided to give it a try one some of my plants through foliar sprays.
Bonhe
First, Bravo! for having such a great collection.
I laughed when you mentioned your interlocking branches Tech., I do the same with Box's, when young of course. Then you mentioned using twine, which I saw it used on a burlaped pine I got, and thought it was good to use. Then you had the slum. reflector, again I laughed, as I work in Sheet metal, and have used polished St/St for same thing.
Now you mention E. Salt, again, I started using last spring, and I like the affect, plus its good for bugs and a bunch of other things. So I am glad I came across this thread and will keep looking out for sharings, as I have learned much, and you confirm things that I am experimenting with. So thank you and look forward to more.
also Your trident with the "Nike" swoosh design low on the trunk, is sublime!!! is that natural or some deadwood tech., ha.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for asking my Nellie .
The bark size is correlated with the growth speed of the tree. The faster the tree grows, the bigger the bark size is. If you want to grow the tree rapidly by planting it in the ground, you will get the tree with big barks, When you dig it up and transform it to the bonsai, it will look unnaturally. The bark size and the trunk height are not corresponded to each other. I concluded this observation few years ago. Knowledge of this fact gave me good and bad experience! The good experience is that I know exactly which way I should train my seedlings for bonsai. The bad thing is that it is hard for me to enjoy the bonsai show anymore!!! As you might know, there are factors affecting the physical appearance of the human: firstly the contour of the body, secondly the skin, etc. It is why in our society, there are a lot of cosmetic surgeries, etc. I believe we can apply this fact to the bonsai, but only differences is that the bark vs human skin and the age of the tree vs human :)
Thụ Thoại
You just blew my mind!!!! :) Great insight!
You are clearly more experienced than I, but I thought the opposite was the case regarding bark formation, speaking from what I have read only. I was under the impression, that all of natures elements inflict lots of character on earth ground grown trees, but what you have said, made me see it differently. Does this mean you do no ground growing? I ask as I am transplanting conifers to ground grow for a few years, with subtle training along the way. Thanks again for the knowledge. Best wishes from Boston!

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...Then you had the slum. reflector, again I laughed, as I work in Sheet metal, and have used polished St/St for same thing... ...
This very morning I had a conversation with my husband about some orchids which don't receive enough sunlight and he proposed the use of reflectors :) Furthermore, he suggested that we would also use a small rotor instrument to turn the reflector to follow the sun movement :)

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This very morning I had a conversation with my husband about some orchids which don't receive enough sunlight and he proposed the use of reflectors :) Furthermore, he suggested that we would also use a small rotor instrument to turn the reflector to follow the sun movement :)
Aren't you worried that they will then catch on fire? :rolleyes:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First, Bravo! for having such a great collection.
I laughed when you mentioned your interlocking branches Tech., I do the same with Box's, when young of course. Then you mentioned using twine, which I saw it used on a burlaped pine I got, and thought it was good to use. Then you had the slum. reflector, again I laughed, as I work in Sheet metal, and have used polished St/St for same thing.
Now you mention E. Salt, again, I started using last spring, and I like the affect, plus its good for bugs and a bunch of other things. So I am glad I came across this thread and will keep looking out for sharings, as I have learned much, and you confirm things that I am experimenting with. So thank you and look forward to more.
also Your trident with the "Nike" swoosh design low on the trunk, is sublime!!! is that natural or some deadwood tech., ha.
Thanks. It looks like we have a lot in common ?.
The deadwood in TM is natural.

You just blew my mind!!!! :) Great insight!
You are clearly more experienced than I, but I thought the opposite was the case regarding bark formation, speaking from what I have read only. I was under the impression, that all of natures elements inflict lots of character on earth ground grown trees, but what you have said, made me see it differently. Does this mean you do no ground growing? I ask as I am transplanting conifers to ground grow for a few years, with subtle training along the way. Thanks again for the knowledge. Best wishes from Boston!
Yes, I don’t like ground growth idea for artistic reason.
Thank you for wishes. I actually lived in Dorchester for 6 months in 1992.
Please share your idea here
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I brought this tamarix out this morning for another pruning this year.
Before
IMG_8881.jpg

Lot of strong shoots from the trunk base
IMG_8882.jpg

They were removed
IMG_8884.jpg IMG_8885.jpg

After wiring and fertilizing with Woodace 12-3-6
IMG_8883.jpg

Thụ Thoại

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I take lessons from your Tamarix work every time you post, Thụ Thoại.
Thank you!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I take lessons from your Tamarix work every time you post, Thụ Thoại.
Thank you!
You are welcome. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to ask.
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This San Jose juniper has a lot of long shoots at this time.
IMG_8895.jpg IMG_8897.jpg IMG_8896.jpg IMG_8898.jpg

It was on 3/11/18
IMG_6519.jpg IMG_6520.jpg

I will let it continue growing and will prune it back in either November or December.
Thụ Thoại

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That was a large possum. We have many around here too. They are pretty harmless creatures, unless they get into something you don't want them to. I've always been able to just grab them by the tail, and they pass out from fear, and then I take them elsewhere. How is the elm doing now? Any regeneration yet? Hope its ok. Your BRT is looking so good. Always the exfoliating bark is so fun.

And thank you much for your lotus shots, they are beautiful. :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seriously? That’s hilarious!

Must be where the playing possum saying came from? They just play dead?
Indeed. They don't see well at all, and are easily frightened. They do make a racket hissing at you but they are far more afraid than you are. If you get close enough to them or if your dog does, most of the time, they will just pass out. Then you can just pick em up and move them.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That was a large possum. We have many around here too. They are pretty harmless creatures, unless they get into something you don't want them to. I've always been able to just grab them by the tail, and they pass out from fear, and then I take them elsewhere. How is the elm doing now? Any regeneration yet? Hope its ok. Your BRT is looking so good. Always the exfoliating bark is so fun.

And thank you much for your lotus shots, they are beautiful. :)
The elm still does not show any new buds yet. Its branches are still soft. Hopefully it wakes up soon!
You are so brave to grab the opossum. :eek:
Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This Brazilian rain tree was pruned almost one month ago (on 8/18/18) and it showed long shoots on the apex this morning.
IMG_9029.jpg IMG_9030.jpg

I removed all the long shoots on the apex and kept the long one on the lower part of the tree
IMG_9031.jpg IMG_9032.jpg
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom