National Arb show dates

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm going. Not sure exactly what days, though. Saturday for sure. Too bad about Julian. I also look forward to seeing him every year. He always has great interesting stuff.

JLBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'll be going this year, sat in on a couple demos last year and it was very fun. Go on Friday or early Saturday to make sure you get the good trees if you are going to buy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm lucky enough to live about 20 minute city drive from the arboretum. These were some pictures last year.

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/good-day-for-the-national-arboretum.18774/

I thought the exact same thing about last years event. I saw $300 and at the time I was basically broke so I sulked for a day or two then got over it. This year I'm actually taking the beginner work course with my Mom (belated birthday gift). Should be a great time. Maybe we should start a thread about who is attending?

Nature's Way also offers some pretty cool classes as well. It's only 2 hour drive from DC which from what I've heard is totally worth it.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
It's up on the arboretum website: May 12-14 10am-5pm. I live 1.5 hrs away so I won't be there till Saturday morn. Probably will be the highlight of my whole damned year lol.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's up on the arboretum website: May 12-14 10am-5pm. I live 1.5 hrs away so I won't be there till Saturday morn. Probably will be the highlight of my whole damned year lol.
It was cool last year...
There were many great vendors.... I regret not buying a taxus I saw and a few nice pots....
I hope I can get there this year....gotta check with the wife!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
I regret not giving up the cash for one of the nice little literati azaleas someone had with the white flowers and long stamens.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just made plans to attend the show.
Driving down Friday AM. Probable look over the vendors, then do a general arboretum tour. Friday night in town, then all day Saturday at the Bonsai event.
CW

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The hosting organization, Potomac Bonsai Association (PBA) is always looking for volunteers to do mundane tasks. Stand in the member trees display and answer basic questions from visitors, lend a hand in the Help tent, give basic instruction at the beginners tent, etc. Go to the PBA website and find the link to the Spring 2017 Festival. Anything helps.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Might keep the crowd down, which works for me, but thats a shame.
CW
Same thought occurred to me as there will be less competition for available offerings, but gotta think of the vendors. I understand these shows are not always the most profitable proposition for some, and bad years can mean fewer vendors the next. Plus who wants to muck about in rain and mud since the show expands well beyond the tent?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Same thought occurred to me as there will be less competition for available offerings, but gotta think of the vendors. I understand these shows are not always the most profitable proposition for some, and bad years can mean fewer vendors the next. Plus who wants to muck about in rain and mud since the show expands well beyond the tent?
Hopefully they'll be tough and hang in there...I want buy something, dangit!

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
And so yeah, don't know if it was the weather but there seemed to be fewer vendors with less stuff for sale this year. Disappointing overall but got my annual tour of the collection with some nice new additions noted. Also got another bag of akadama/pumice mix which I'd begun experimenting with this past year, a little Japanese white pine with some moderate promise, and of all things a couple of nice rocks. Oh and a pot. So managed to support some vendors at least a bit.

Top Bottom