Need a little help creating a bunjin!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I’ve got some young material, but having a hard time coming up with anything that I think will look good.

This is what I have to work with...
Jbp
857E9CCC-4BA7-4F47-B1C6-A8267C989F33.jpeg458E5948-1843-4655-A1E8-44BB5D72EF27.jpeg

Shimpaku
FAFC3218-B2D7-4EB6-96F9-C7A883B48532.jpeg
E9D695ED-292C-4432-B74D-4A09A6EDB997.jpeg1F2C4B6A-E6E8-4F30-A628-D14EED7EAF29.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cpl more
Tree I collected past spring
8A727A55-47E7-41A0-8F11-CCECC136E416.jpegF3F3A990-1912-4C4F-8D52-7FEE812AFDEB.jpeg

Another shimpakuD28D49AB-212D-4880-9A1A-67F0AAEB65C6.jpeg

Jbp
59180ADA-0304-47F0-9E0A-140FDAC99011.jpeg2A05A055-BB6A-4DA6-BFC4-5EA4E371CD42.jpeg08531659-D873-4C00-A668-E1DAB454BE8F.jpeg

After contemplating these, bunjin isn’t as easy as I imagined, or maybe I just have shit material that’s gonna take some care to bend bc although young, their semi stiff. Especially the junipers.

Well any help or advise would be great!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The abrupt change in the last one makes it the only one without good potential.

Couple more up there can use some branch removal (far future) and should be done as to avoid that abrupt change.

So you are left with a nice continuously tapering line which can be worked into a nice figure.

For which, other trees should be studied, poetry, etc.

The subtle beauty of that line is the difficulty.

Sorce

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
After contemplating these, bunjin isn’t as easy as I imagined, or maybe I just have shit material that’s gonna take some care to bend bc although young, their semi stiff. Especially the junipers.
Your first thought is correct. Bunjin looks easy because there's not much but is actually really difficult to pull off. There's always plenty of long thin trees but very few actually end up on the show benches.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The abrupt change in the last one makes it the only one without good potential.

Couple more up there can use some branch removal (far future) and should be done as to avoid that abrupt change.

So you are left with a nice continuously tapering line which can be worked into a nice figure.

For which, other trees should be studied, poetry, etc.

The subtle beauty of that line is the difficulty.

Sorce
Makes sense. I see what you mean on that last jbp.
Thanks for the insight

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Your first thought is correct. Bunjin looks easy because there's not much but is actually really difficult to pull off. There's always plenty of long thin trees but very few actually end up on the show benches.

Very true! Any bunjin I’ve ever seen on display (YouTube not real life) is stunning and elegant. Really has my eye drawn to them lately!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Try to find randomness to form your lines after.

From child drawn single lines, dropped longer hairs, wires strewn about behind the TV. Etc.
Start studying these lines for ones that give you feelings and copy them.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very true! Any bunjin I’ve ever seen on display (YouTube not real life) is stunning and elegant. Really has my eye drawn to them lately!
Bunjin aka. Literati are very difficult. Yes, at first glance they appear simple, but, as you are discovering, they’re anything but simple.

Part of the challenge is they are supposed to depict old trees. Really old trees. These trees will have character derived from having survived for decades or centuries of storms, droughts, floods, etc.

Trying to depict that kind of character using young material is, well, nearly impossible. Instead, you should be looking for old material with character. Or, be prepared to wait a very, very long time!

As an example, here is a JWP that has a lot of bunjin character:

11E14607-B23D-4AAF-8ACB-244FECC48AD5.jpeg

I have a JWP that by coincidence happens to have a similar trunkline, and similar branch placement. So, using it as inspiration, I’ve tried to create a similar image:

03CA6561-CCD0-4827-989A-C5124E9D1B35.jpeg

I have a thread on this tree showing the work I’ve done to it over the past three or so years.

The branch angles are about the same, but my tree still doesn’t feel “old”. And that’s because of the bark. My tree is about 20 to 24 years old from an air layer, and the juvenile bark still hadn’t become flaky. When it does, I think the image will improve immensely. Until then, it’s lot a “literati”, it’s just a slant.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Time to stir the pot. The different styles exist to accommodate stock which ain't never gonna fit into this or that mold. Got a tree that has grown at an angle so long as to have branches that won't ever be able to be a credible upright? Positioned properly in the right pot it's a slanted champion. Got a skinny, crooked, Too Tall Jones that won't back-bud? Magically, bunjin! Etc.

Of course, the Masters will always prove their expertise by doing things in a demo, just to prove they can. Make a straight branch into a 45° or reverse 60°, or make a crooked branch straight, or whatever, just to prove they can. Then there's the answer to the question of what to do with a "nothing at all". Chop & grow-on. Yes, the Japanese covered all the bases, and then some, and named them.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Time to stir the pot. The different styles exist to accommodate stock which ain't never gonna fit into this or that mold. Got a tree that has grown at an angle so long as to have branches that won't ever be able to be a credible upright? Positioned properly in the right pot it's a slanted champion. Got a skinny, crooked, Too Tall Jones that won't back-bud? Magically, bunjin! Etc.

Of course, the Masters will always prove their expertise by doing things in a demo, just to prove they can. Make a straight branch into a 45° or reverse 60°, or make a crooked branch straight, or whatever, just to prove they can. Then there's the answer to the question of what to do with a "nothing at all". Chop & grow-on. Yes, the Japanese covered all the bases, and then some, and named them.
I’m not sure what the point of your post was. I’m not really sure who “named” the styles of trees, but it’s just a way of categorizing them.

Bunjin (literati), are different, though. They harken back to the Chinese ink drawings. It’s not so much the trunk movement, or even the degree of sparseness of the branches and foliage... it’s the amount of “emotion” they project. Very difficult to achieve.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Why not try grafting?
It would take a few extra years, but it'll give you all the possibilities instead of just a few.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Bunjin aka. Literati are very difficult. Yes, at first glance they appear simple, but, as you are discovering, they’re anything but simple.

Part of the challenge is they are supposed to depict old trees. Really old trees. These trees will have character derived from having survived for decades or centuries of storms, droughts, floods, etc.

Trying to depict that kind of character using young material is, well, nearly impossible. Instead, you should be looking for old material with character. Or, be prepared to wait a very, very long time!

View attachment 267532

I have a JWP that by coincidence happens to have a similar trunkline, and similar branch placement. So, using it as inspiration, I’ve tried to create a similar image:

View attachment 267533

I have a thread on this tree showing the work I’ve done to it over the past three or so years.

The branch angles are about the same, but my tree still doesn’t feel “old”. And that’s because of the bark. My tree is about 20 to 24 years old from an air layer, and the juvenile bark still hadn’t become flaky. When it does, I think the image will improve immensely. Until then, it’s lot a “literati”, it’s just a slant.

View attachment 267532

View attachment 267533

I believe literati is different then bunjin. The two pines you posted are definitely literati.

I consider this bunjin
AC69BBF1-29BE-42A6-8177-D6C8D069BB9F.png
637FD193-E09A-4B0B-B872-87201E234986.pngEF4DA9AA-E3D3-4C3B-AE64-BF93134F7765.png

This I consider literati, with low hanging multiple branches as opposed to mainly a single trunk being the majority
6AEBF51F-A631-4D83-AA0C-BF4BC312C819.png

And yes the material I have to work with is young, setting the structure though. In due time they’ll look better with more bark.

Although I do have a massive bunjin pondo collected about 10 years ago that I’ll be picking from mark fields in the spring :)
Should be able to create a true tall old bunjin specimen with an angle change and little help from mark!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Grafting what?
The poster could graft branches onto both his pines as well as his junipers. That creates a bunch of extra opportunities.
If he has a hard time coming up with designs, then I see no objection to change the canvas itself.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here’s a shohin bunjin I did a few days ago
The shohin ficus is a cutting so it was free and just getting some practice. Although a lot of abrupt turns like what source was saying. But I kinda like it
27FE2500-9187-4EA8-8B47-A37CA49A60A5.jpeg

Here is a mame (micro) ewp
94CED8A9-EF9A-4281-AB6E-DF7E14237163.jpeg4A138821-6827-425F-A0EE-4ABA0054CECC.jpeg63798511-219B-4F1E-82C3-E9876367C9E7.jpeg

Imagine the ewp without the two tiny branches bc these are sacrificial, just to thinkin the trunk.... a tad! It’s not always girth that shows age, get a little bark on there in a few years I think it will look good.
Display-no. On my bench-yes

Ps: Adair..... don’t you dare look at my wiring!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Threw some wet raffia on with the some wire and just winged it.

image.jpg

Low right branch is sacrificial as of now with a possible future jin, but who knows plans could change.

Would anybody do anything different?
I kinda like it, but open to suggestions

Thanks again fellas!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
EWP, like JWP take 2 to 3 DECADES to create flaky bark.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I could produce a superior bunjin or practically any other style out of this with endless amounts of deadwood and options. Only problem, this tree deserves to be styled to its full potential and unfortunately it’s too much for me. It’s such a nice piece of material, id hate to see it wind up under par!!

5609D9A3-7348-462C-8E44-12B574524DCB.jpeg04CB2977-DB2B-44EE-AF01-442B813715E2.jpeg8A7CBA58-EE11-4A17-8523-1B7313682904.jpegBF6A0F36-4AD5-4789-B87E-C11139C1C9F7.jpeg551ED06D-66FF-41CD-AB8E-15B9711AD926.jpeg

Top Bottom