Need a pot suggestion

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I see a pic of the J in the Dave pot?

It evolves a bit.

Sorce

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah it’s brand new. I just dug it up about a week ago
If you just dug that up, I would suggest that you wait at least a year before doing anything of consequence to the tree. All collected trees suffer root damage in the process of extraction, and most conifers have fragile root systems to begin with. I would advise no fertilizer for at least a month, and keep it out of the wind. Even if it’s wired in pretty tight, any back and forth movement of the trunk—wind, moving it, whatever—will damage more of the very fine root hairs. If it’s still alive in twelve months, ya done good.

Absolutely brilliant on using the bedpan by the way. It would still be funny as hell two or three years from now—a real pisser, so to speak. A while back, someone else here was talking about putting a Hawaiian umbrella tree into a Spam can. The tree has lots of potential in my view. Best of luck with it.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I was going to use Alaska 5-1-1 at the 1 month mark???

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don’t mind the trunk hugging close to the surface. A sweeping movement. I think that when the substrate is actually leveled out there will be a slight air gap there. I like that the trunk grows and sweeps out of the substrate....it’s a nice movement to my eyes.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think the tree needs more definition to match it to a pot. The canopy is just that, -a bunch of foliage. It should be shaped into something with specific attitudes: sweeping left or right, or flaming up or hanging down, or a series of diminishing layers or clouds, or whatever, but it should have a shape that can be characterized in words. Tree shapes are the result of life conquering or surviving the environment they find themselves in and we speak of trees that are coastal, or mountain, or savanna, or forest, or whatever, but they all come from some "place", surviving "some thing". If you can't find words to describe it, it ain't got no there, there.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
I think the tree needs more definition to match it to a pot. The canopy is just that, -a bunch of foliage. It should be shaped into something with specific attitudes: sweeping left or right, or flaming up or hanging down, or a series of diminishing layers or clouds, or whatever, but it should have a shape that can be characterized in words. Tree shapes are the result of life conquering or surviving the environment they find themselves in and we speak of trees that are coastal, or mountain, or savanna, or forest, or whatever, but they all come from some "place", surviving "some thing". If you can't find words to describe it, it ain't got no there, there.
Can you show me a picture of a shape that something like mine could be shaped into? I’m having a hard time imagining this

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
WOAH! You dug this up a week ago; why are you even contemplating another pot for it at this point? The question is rhetorical. Wait and make sure it was a good dig before talking about a pot. It's going to need some very careful care over the next year or two. If it's still alive start talking about a pot then.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
WOAH! You dug this up a week ago; why are you even contemplating another pot for it at this point? The question is rhetorical. Wait and make sure it was a good dig before talking about a pot. It's going to need some very careful care over the next year or two. If it's still alive start talking about a pot then.

cause I’m a newbie posting on the newbie thread and I need someone to remind me of these things!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
cause I’m a newbie posting on the newbie thread and I need someone to remind me of these things!
Thank you for being honest and not taking offense to my comment as it was not meant to be critical. We are all learning and don't let anyone tell you differently. I've been right where you are before, a freshly dug piece of material and can't wait to see my vision come to fruition. If you can resist the temptation, your trees will be better for it. What you have has some good bones and it won't be difficult to style. What's going to take the most work is keeping the material vigorous. A strong tree has the best chance of survival in those little pots. Might I ask what your plan is for aftercare?

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you for being honest and not taking offense to my comment as it was not meant to be critical. We are all learning and don't let anyone tell you differently. I've been right where you are before, a freshly dug piece of material and can't wait to see my vision come to fruition. If you can resist the temptation, your trees will be better for it. What you have has some good bones and it won't be difficult to style. What's going to take the most work is keeping the material vigorous. A strong tree has the best chance of survival in those little pots. Might I ask what your plan is for aftercare?
I have no idea! It’s outside I’ve been bringing it in on nights below freezing just cause they are rare here. I water it daily, it runs right through it. I bought some Alaska 511 I was going to put on it after I’ve had it a full month.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have no idea! It’s outside I’ve been bringing it in on nights below freezing just cause they are rare here. I water it daily, it runs right through it. I bought some Alaska 511 I was going to put on it after I’ve had it a full month.
Where do you live? Also, no fertilizer in the near future.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hopefully, you didn't bare root it after collection. Watering it everyday for the sake of watering it is not a good idea. You should be watering it just before the soil dries out (around every other day or so). Each potted tree is different so there's no way to say when that is. However, Junipers are foliage feeders so misting the foliage a few times a day is helpful. Some say Juniper should be placed in full sun after collection and others say part to full shade is best. I would leave the full sun method to the more experienced nuts. Protection from freezing is a must at this point. Don't bring it in the house. A garage or shed is best for this season. If it survives until next year, keep it outdoors all the time just like they are in nature. Hope this helps.

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
Hopefully, you didn't bare root it after collection. Watering it everyday for the sake of watering it is not a good idea. You should be watering it just before the soil dries out (around every other day or so). Each potted tree is different so there's no way to say when that is. However, Junipers are foliage feeders so misting the foliage a few times a day is helpful. Some say Juniper should be placed in full sun after collection and others say part to full shade is best. I would leave the full sun method to the more experienced nuts. Protection from freezing is a must at this point. Don't bring it in the house. A garage or shed is best for this season. If it survives until next year, keep it outdoors all the time just like they are in nature. Hope this helps.

very very helpful!!! Thanks!!

Reactions: Vin

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gee, I thought you'd never ask! Your post has drawn a lot of attention because you have a very interesting trunk, and you have a top that can be manipulated, or not, because you got taper. You can do things with taper, especially long taper, that you can't do in public. The following set of manipulations might be worth pursuing if they appeal to you...
Juniper 021720 b b.JPG
View attachment 284298
View attachment 284295
View attachment 284297
The other parts of the trunk can be moved too, but will take a lot more force. The sky is the limit. You can't do this now because the tree needs to recover. You have plenty of time to consider your options, draw proposed layouts, plan, change, draw, change, and by the time the tree is ready, you will be, too!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Gee, I thought you'd never ask! Your post has drawn a lot of attention because you have a very interesting trunk, and you have a top that can be manipulated, or not, because you got taper. You can do things with taper, especially long taper, that you can't do in public. The following set of manipulations might be worth pursuing if they appeal to you...
Juniper 021720 b b.JPG
Juniper 021720 b1.JPG
Juniper 021720 b2.JPG
Juniper 021720 b3.JPG
Juniper 021720 b4.JPG
The other parts of the trunk can be moved too, but will take a lot more force. The sky is the limit. You can't do this now because the tree needs to recover. You have plenty of time to consider your options, draw proposed layouts, plan, change, draw, change, and by the time the tree is ready, you will be, too!

Tulsabonsigh

Shohin
Reaction score
View attachment 284300
View attachment 284301
View attachment 284302
View attachment 284303
View attachment 284304

wow!! That’s my tree!!! I will marvel at how you did this for days!!!
thnaks so so much. !!!!!!

Top Bottom