Need diagnosis - jaboticaba

LooselyWired

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Just noticed something on my jaboticaba. I didn’t see it before because the soil level was higher & covered it. I’m a little nervous because it rings the whole trunk. What is it, and how do I treat it?

Attachments

• 7FD241D2-04F5-4892-9F0B-239309290D2A.jpeg
    7FD241D2-04F5-4892-9F0B-239309290D2A.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 55
  • A9E85C5D-4BA3-4C02-92C5-C2255DA5445B.jpeg
    A9E85C5D-4BA3-4C02-92C5-C2255DA5445B.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 50

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I'm no expert here but it looks like it was trying to put out some roots? Looks very similar to an air layer attempt as a callous. If the soil was higher as you mentioned then it would make sense. Not sure how to treat besides just leaving it to bark over at some point? Just my 2 cents and that's all it's worth...lol

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm no expert here but it looks like it was trying to put out some roots? Looks very similar to an air layer attempt as a callous. If the soil was higher as you mentioned then it would make sense. Not sure how to treat besides just leaving it to bark over at some point? Just my 2 cents and that's all it's worth...lol
It does seem like a rooting attempt, could it be a graft scar? Or maybe both.
I would recommend you to pile up the soil around it to see if it grows roots, but act fast in order to avoid the roots drying up.

LooselyWired

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thank you for the replies. That clarifies everything. Much appreciated

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Could be callus, could be salt buildup that's pretty common with organic soils. Scratch a small part with a toothpick to know for sure; if it's salt, then chunks will fall off and they would feel like actual wet salt. If it's callus, it'll look like plantlike material. A single small scratch shouldn't hurt the tree.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like salt to me. Hard to see but look for a similar ring around the pot and near the drainage holes. The second picture almost looks like there is a ring building up there just around the edge of the pot to the right.

The salts in hard water and in fertilized water fall out of solution as the water evaporates. This is a routine issue with indoor plants. One habit that helps: water to get the soil wet. Wait an hour or so for salts to redissolve. Then flush the pot with copious amounts of water. Doing this once a month or so helps flush out the extra salts.

Top Bottom