Need help identifying....this is embarrassing..lol

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
I always considered these trash trees when I first started collecting in my teenage years and never really paid too much attention to them...Only thing I thought they were good for was tripping you or the occasional cheap shot at the shin...but today I have had an epiphany...I found this guy deep in the swamp and was inspired immediately....someone PLEASE tell me what this is!!!!

First pic before the chop, second during (lol), third after

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
it may be called "awesome tree". lets see what happens.

Last edited:

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
I see what you did there....

it may be called "awesome tree". lets see what happens.

LOL.......It's not coming up till next spring, I'll probably trench it once I get some shoots pushing late spring.....I still need to know what this is though if anyone has an inkling...

Last edited:

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
You know, I'm an idiot...The only privet I ever worked with personally was a miniature witch broom someone had taken cuttings from....Never worked with the regular stock, so I never made the connection.....It think it is a privet....smh.......*Praying to the arboreal gods for forgiveness*

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
marcosolo,

Yes, it is a naturalized Ligustrum sinensis. Ligustrum has become an invasive pest around here, especially in low wet areas. Dig it up and all it's friends too!

Regards,
Martin

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it is indeed a ligustrum, you got a nice one. Most you'll find are very straight/plain. The beauty of collecting invasive species is that you are helping remove one ;) and they are very hardy... some won't die even if you try to kill it!!! :eek:

Good luck!

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always considered these trash trees when I first started collecting in my teenage years and never really paid too much attention to them...Only thing I thought they were good for was tripping you or the occasional cheap shot at the shin...but today I have had an epiphany...I found this guy deep in the swamp and was inspired immediately....someone PLEASE tell me what this is!!!!

First pic before the chop, second during (lol), third after
Chinese privet, Ligustrum sinense. Dig it now, it won't care. And stop using that hacksaw. It'll work you to death. Either get a regular short-handled pruning saw or, better yet, a cordless reciprocating saw. Those privets will come out of the ground in about a minute (not the really big ones, those take a few).

Zach

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
But I like the workout....lol

Chinese privet, Ligustrum sinense. Dig it now, it won't care. And stop using that hacksaw. It'll work you to death. Either get a regular short-handled pruning saw or, better yet, a cordless reciprocating saw. Those privets will come out of the ground in about a minute (not the really big ones, those take a few).

Zach

my sawz-all got lost in a move...I used use the be-jeezus out of it.....lol....and yeah, I might just dig it now, since I have confirmation it won't die on me.....I've seen one that grew in cheerios and water(no joke)....I guess I'll get it the next overcast day that rolls around.....I'll post pics when ever it comes home...

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Those grow all over near my house. I guess in my head, I considered them trash as well because they are so common. Well, I have a new target to look for when I have time!

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
I think that may be the reason why also thought it was trash also.....Although finished specimen's look amazing, especially with some carving and hollows.....

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think that may be the reason why also thought it was trash.....Although finished specimen's look amazing, especially with some carving and hollows.....
Very true...maybe because they are closely related to olive? ;)

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Very true...maybe because they are closely related to olive? ;)

Probably right.....Close to the same type of callousing in both trees.....I think these can also be chopped clean at the base and pretty much rerooted in pretty much all water like olives can.....we will see.....

Top Bottom