Need help identifying this juniper

bdmatt

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to bonsai and new to this forum so I don't know if this is where I put the thread, but I need help identifying what kind of juniper this tree is. I've attached some photos below. I bought this tree about a month ago from an elderly gentlemen. He had quite a few trees and this one was tucked in the back. I have a few junipers, mostly nanas and prostratas, and this tree looks nothing like them. It's also quite large, the trunk is about 4-5 inches and the canopy is about 5 feet long. The foliage was mostly if not all scale-like until I started doing some pruning and got some needle-like foliage. The foliage isn't very compact, but in some areas (I assume wasn't trimmed by me or the previous owner) has a bit of density. I haven't seen this kind of bark before, it's somewhat flakey. If anyone knows anything about this tree, I would love some help.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0438.jpg
    IMG_0438.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0436.jpg
    IMG_0436.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0435.jpg
    IMG_0435.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0434.jpg
    IMG_0434.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0433.jpg
    IMG_0433.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 67

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Most likely this is one of the many, many varieties of Juniperus chinensis, Generically it looks like a shimpaku juniper. Even if it is not shimpaku, it can be treated like a shimpaku.juniper. The bonsai techniques for all scale foliage junipers is roughly the same.

So just refer to it as a generic shimpaku juniper.

Once the provenance is lost, it is almost impossible to accurately figure out the identity of a juniper from photos alone.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with Leo Matt, treat it like a shimpaku and enjoy! Leo knows what he is talking about! :)

bonsaianak

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Matt! I just happened to come across this post and I was going through the pictures and thought "that tree looks so familiar!" Are you located in SoCal by any chance?