need styling advice on JWP

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a neglected pine I have nursed back to health and is good starting material. Rather large and needs to be brought back to a decent shape.

It is the plan to maintain an informal upright with perhaps mother daughter or semi cascading lower branch.

The tree has flaws including a long branch on an inside curve. I have chopped it back AFTER I took these photos. It will probably have to go completely BUT on the next outside curve there is no branch in the right spot. There are 2 branches on the side of the curve so either I have to wire them back and have a pseudo correct branch or thinking of chopping to a branch around this area shortening the tree (its 24-28 inches now) and creating a new apex and curve.

Please give advice and techniques you feel are appropriate.

(The long upper branch is trimmed back to correct length BUT this is on an inside curve YUCK)

LINK TO FULL ALBUM HERE: http://s262.photobucket.com/user/jason_mazzy/slideshow/white pine

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would start with wire wire wire wire and more wire. That's looks like great material. Seriously wire away and put things where they are supposed to go. Then relook at the tree for any removal. You could sell it to me as well. I would make pretty pads first then try to decide if anything needs removal. Cool stock.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree totally with jkd, it's hard to tell what it's going to look like until you start placing things. That branch you hate now, will probably not be a problem later once you arrange the rest of the foliage moved around. This tree has very nice potential. Please take photos as you go along so you can look at them as well as the tree, sometimes a photo can show you what you need more than looking at the tree odd as that sounds.
Keep us updated, looking forward to seeing what you do.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with the two posters above...and... with nice stock like this, don't be too concerned about the rules. There are tons of exceptionally styled trees that bend or break the rules. The defining branch on this tree leaves the trunk on an inside curve. Would you remove it:)? If the branch improves the tree, I don't care where it comes from:cool:.

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 33

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice tree, well done graft, do you know who grew this tree?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldn't consider that branch a flaw, this white pine is has a lot of potential compared to other raw stock out there.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
at least you all have backed up what I was thinking. I figured I should wire and style and then make the big decisions on if I need to shorten.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
White pine take well to approach grafts if needed for some of those branches.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I see you live in north carolina, have you been able to keep white pine healthy in the past?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You're going to have a problem with the base. Always start at the base and work up. Uncover the nerbari and see what you have to work with. The lowest branch is still too high for a mother/daughter design, but if you remove it, you will have that ugly lump to deal with. That is the big question, in my opinion. The upper branches come later.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The nebari are fine. I have this burried on purpose.

I think I may have not done a good job explaining what I was thinking. You need to uncover the nebari and the flare at the soil line so you can decide on the trunk line and the front. If it is buried, you can make some bad decisions that will come back to haunt you when you uncover the nebari.

Don't let the branches distract you. It is all about the nebari and the trunk. Branches are secondary. Last thing you want is to let branches force you into making the wrong trunk decision - or worse - spend five years developing branches that you end up cutting off after they have gotten thicker and leave big nasty scars.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes thank you. The nebari are equal on both sides. They are taller than I like more of an exposed root so I am working on a ground layer and will likely root graft in the future. I have found the style I am going for and will begin a heavy feeding schedule and use Ryan Neil's technique to induce back budding and begin to create pads. If you have seen the pine book by tone lantern you will easily find my inspiration. I will try my hand at the pagoda style.

I wanted to get opinions to see if I was missing anything on my critique and flaws. One thing I don't like is one or two of the branches are thicker up top where thy should be thinner. I will have to keep that area weaker and let the lower branches grow strength.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Every bonsai is going to have some type of flaw, I wouldn't sweat the branches,the trick is to try to hide them if they can't be fixed, I worry for the tree with carolina winters, they need a good dormant period, humid summers and mild winters will slowly weaken the tree.

Top Bottom