Styling my first juniper nursery stock, need advice!

Bp1313

Seedling
Reaction score

Hey guys, just chopped up my first nursery stock juniper. I can’t decide what to do next.

I’m open to informal upright or semi cascade, whichever makes the most sense with what the current structure wants to do.

I can’t decide which will be the new leader. I was thinking about cutting off dark blue and red being the new leader in an upwards S curve but I’m not sure.

Thanks in advance and go easy on me 😌

IMG_2198.jpeg
IMG_2199.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Decision paralysis is common in the early years. Worry that you make make the 'wrong' decision and ruin a tree.
I finally came to the conclusion that if I can't decide between 2 or more options that just means that all are equally good so it doesn't matter which you choose. Just make a decision and go with it. Once the cut is made your decision is the 'right' one. If necessary toss a coin and go with that. The important point is your tree is going nowhere until you make that decision.

Always hard to make recommendations from a few photos as camera angles sometimes show something that's not there and we can't see real 3d depth.
Looks like the proposed red leader comes from slightly below the orange branch? If that the case it may not be the best option to continue the trunk unless orange becomes the main trunk s a cascade or semi and the initial bends on main trunk may make cascade on that side look awkward.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd remove the dark blue, and wire the red as the new leader. I wouldn't remove any more foliage, and instead let it grow and recover.
The key in designing junipers is working your way from the outside inwards, which you seem to have done. This allows you to grow it out, cut it back, grow it out, work it back.. And thus compact the design over time.

Bp1313

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. If I want to grow it bigger, should I put it in a bigger pot with wires on it so it grows bigger but with movement?

Or should I repot it in a bonsai pot and it’l get bigger regardless?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If this was mine, I’d try a Hail Mary And make a slope cut above first branch.
That big knob up top is going to be hard to incorporate in the final design in my opinion.
If it survives, you may get lucky and get a new branch lower.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the advice guys. If I want to grow it bigger, should I put it in a bigger pot with wires on it so it grows bigger but with movement?

Or should I repot it in a bonsai pot and it’l get bigger regardless?
Interesting point. Does need a bigger pot and would even cover all but larger root tops for now. Wire to avoid root movement during the year.

Wouldn’t go for a bonsai pot. This move will only slow development. Tree has a whole lot of growing to do….

That doesn’t mean you can’t start considering what the future pot will look like 😉!

cheers
DSD sends

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Smaller pot = slower growth and thickening. It can take many years before most trees in a bonsai pot get appreciably thicker.
Larger pot + good care = more growth and faster thickening.

Bp1313

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks all. That video is very helpful. I have an another juniper on deck I’m going to try again. I also ordered the book bonsai design principles which I’m excited for.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree with the advice you've been given.
This tree has really nice nebari already and I would try to preserve that.

Bp1313

Seedling
Reaction score
If this was mine, I’d try a Hail Mary And make a slope cut above first branch.
That big knob up top is going to be hard to incorporate in the final design in my opinion.
If it survives, you may get lucky and get a new branch lower.
Thanks for the advice. What’s a slope cut?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thanks for the advice. What’s a slope cut?
Just a chop at an angle. Angled down from the keeper branch, may help with taper, and puts possible new buds down lower so you don’t get buds popping directly adjacent from existing branch.IMG_0406.jpeg

Last edited:

Bp1313

Seedling
Reaction score
Just a chop at an angle. Angled down from the keeper branch, may help with taper, and puts possible new buds down lower so you don’t get buds popping directly adjacent from existing branch.View attachment 527625
What do you think the likelihood is it would survive that chop?

Thanks for the image!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What do you think the likelihood is it would survive that chop?

Thanks for the image!
I probably wouldn’t do it in tandem with the repot.
After the tree has recovered fully, I believe there is a very good chance it would make it.
Next year?

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I probably wouldn’t do it in tandem with the repot.
After the tree has recovered fully, I believe there is a very good chance it would make it.
Next year?
But….. I may just go for it now anyways if not too worried about losing it. 🤣🤷‍♂️

With good aftercare, and bandages, it should have a good chance.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
One idea. Using the first big side branch off that first primary branch as a new top IMG_0406.jpeg

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
or, you could leave it with the thicker branch that's already wired too, but Eckhoffw's suggestion presents a much cleaner taper.

Top Bottom