New Addition to My Family (of) Tree(s)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Some of you may have guessed...

I heard opportunity knocking on the back of my head...had to...

And I'm very pleased!
Will be repotting it soon.
A few buds are extending, but the vast majority are still closed tight...

And a Shiner to join that club... bought my first 6pack of Shiner Bock last week... I gotta say, it's good beer!
Not gonna trump my favorite, but it's in my top few now...
KIMG0400.JPG

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Cool. What are the stats on that new (to you) beast?
Well, it's a Japanese Hornbeam.
About 24" high and wide...
I didn't measure, but the trunk is about 5-6" thick above the nebari.

The main trunk was cut off some 15 years ago...
I don't know exactly how old the tree is though.

It was last repotted in 2014...so it's ready for that.

It's my first Carpinus Japonica, so it will be interesting!
I will take more pics tomorrow.
It's dark now....was already getting dark when I took that pick.

My goal, for now, is to maintain the branch structure, and gain some ramification, and build some good surface roots.
We'll see what's there soon... The pot is deep, so who knows???
?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, it's a Japanese Hornbeam.
About 24" high and wide...
I didn't measure, but the trunk is about 5-6" thick above the nebari.

The main trunk was cut off some 15 years ago...
I don't know exactly how old the tree is though.

It was last repotted in 2014...so it's ready for that.

It's my first Carpinus Japonica, so it will be interesting!
I will take more pics tomorrow.
It's dark now....was already getting dark when I took that pick.

My goal, for now, is to maintain the branch structure, and gain some ramification, and build some good surface roots.
We'll see what's there soon... The pot is deep, so who knows???
?

nice tree, BUT FWIW, like many older established bonsai, it's branches have become FAR too long...They all could stand a substantial reduction (half at least)...My bonsai nursery owning friends say they see this quite often with trees that have been kept as bonsai for a while--mine trees included. They work on quite a few extremely nice bonsai from owners in D.C. and Richmond.

They have said they've learned over the years that Owners don't really "see" the overextension for a number of reasons, including admiring their own work (me) ;-) or they're squeamish about substantial reductions of work they've put into those branches (again, I'm guilty of this). The nursery owners see the issue immediately, because they have no emotional or financial investment in the tree, which tends to make their vision a bit clearer and more pragmatic.

A hard pruning of branches can result in a big push of new ramification further back towards the trunk. You have to look at the extended branches as a medium step in the branch building process.

And FWIW, Shiner's nice, love Texas beer, but just over the border to the east--
https://abita.com
Mardi Gras Bock, The Boot, Andygator...

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
nice tree, BUT FWIW, like many older established bonsai, it's branches have become FAR too long...They all could stand a substantial reduction (half at least)...My bonsai nursery owning friends say they see this quite often with trees that have been kept as bonsai for a while--mine trees included. They work on quite a few extremely nice bonsai from owners in D.C. and Richmond.

They have said they've learned over the years that Owners don't really "see" the overextension for a number of reasons, including admiring their own work (me) ;-) or they're squeamish about substantial reductions of work they've put into those branches (again, I'm guilty of this). The nursery owners see the issue immediately, because they have no emotional or financial investment in the tree, which tends to make their vision a bit clearer and more pragmatic.

A hard pruning of branches can result in a big push of new ramification further back towards the trunk. You have to look at the extended branches as a medium step in the branch building process.

And FWIW, Shiner's nice, love Texas beer, but just over the border to the east--
https://abita.com
Mardi Gras Bock, The Boot, Andygator...
I agree it is leggy.
Thanks, for your input!
I will be reading up on the best time to do such work, after work today.
However I'm in no rush... Repotting is top priority, I will do some pruning then.
I'm still figuring out my Korean Hornbeam's too...

Last edited:

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
That’s quite a tree! Upping the ante I’d surmise. I’d also say the overall height could be reduced by half.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! Me being in Maryland as well I was wishing I could have picked that thing up. The price was too steep for me though. I’m looking forward to following its continued development.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice! Me being in Maryland as well I was wishing I could have picked that thing up. The price was too steep for me though. I’m looking forward to following its continued development.
Price, price, price....yeah that's a bullet I didn't mind biting...
I respect the time and effort put into it, and the pot ain't half bad either!

Top Bottom