New bonsai garden, including koi pond!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m having a mild case of “new pond syndrome”. What is that? It’s what I would call “hair algae”. Yuck!

The water is clear, but the nutrients are cycling. The plants haven’t established themselves fully yet to the point where they will be able to absorb all the nitrates. I have a UV filter to kill the single cell algae the makes the water green, so what’s left to grow is the hair algae. And, man, can it grow! I saw a bit of it, maybe 4 inches long one day, it had grown out to be about 3 feet long in a day! Wow!

So, for now, I just reach in and pull as much as I can out of the pond. Eventually, it will go away, it’s “just a phase”. Lol!!!
I remember that in my old pond. I would roll it in a net like cotton candy. Lol

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Couldn't you turn off the uv filter and let the water turn green. That ought to suck the nutrients out of the hair algae and give your plants an opportunity to take off before turning the uv filter back on. (I don't have a pond or any experience with them, but I know the nitrate cycle.)
It’s just a phase all ponds have to go thru. The same thing happened when I brought in new “live rock” on my reef tank.

It will take several months before it settles down.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
One thing that hair algae hates is water movement or more like surface agitation.
Maybe both.
But yes it is a game of wait and see.
It’s so gross and slimy though. Ugh.
The fish look happy though. 😀

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok, ok...

Fish pictures!

View attachment 258606
View attachment 258607
View attachment 258608
View attachment 258609

And a couple more pictures of the work I’ve done around the pond. I’ve installed mulch around most of the pond, and covered a large portion of the red clay soil around with mulch. Then, a large area where the dirt dug from the pond was spread has been seeded and strawed. Next week they’re going to return to install the patio next to the house and bordering one side of the pond.

View attachment 258604

View attachment 258605

I’m even starting to move the bonsai benches into their final positions.

That said, I had the flu shot a couple days ago, and now I’m at that age where they give you a stronger dose. I think it has given me a mild case of symptoms, and I’m taking it easy today.
Everything looks like it's remaining thriving as in fishy and plant life. Sorry to hear your down and out. But the pond area looks stellar!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Everything looks like it's remaining thriving as in fishy and plant life. Sorry to hear your down and out. But the pond area looks stellar!
I don’t know if it was the flu shot, or I just got a cold, but i’ve Been dragging for several days! It’s been all I could do to water the trees and now the reseeded lawn area.

Today, I’m headed to a local landscape nursery to see if they have any suitable trees for around the pond.

I have a friend who has a zillion JWP that I’ll probably select a couple for decor.

I did get a good bit of the hair algae out, and where I removed it, it’s not returning, so I think once I get the rest of it pulled out, we’ll be past that stage, and on to the next!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Next Phase:

Installation of the patio! Yea!!! No more tracking in red clay into the house! (Soon).

9D4957AC-4964-4068-BB66-E150D7F7F911.jpeg

And, the grass is coming up on the far side of the pond. I went out and overseeded some bare/thin areas a couple days ago. I’ll probably have to do that a couple more times, but it’s a huge improvement over what it looked like a couple weeks ago!

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Good job on the garden and pond @Adair M. It looks beautiful already and will be much more so when it's done.

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey I have a question. Someone mentioned somewhere on this site and try as I might I can't find it through search but there is a pond forum kinda like this one that deals just with backyard ponds and such. Anyone know what that is? I'm looking for some solid advice before I put my pond in.
Www.gardenpondforum.com. Probably me lol same name there as here. Think I sent @Underdog there. Lots of good people there too. Filter discussions are the soil wars there so be ready if you ask lol

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
One thing that hair algae hates is water movement or more like surface agitation.
Maybe both.
But yes it is a game of wait and see.
It’s so gross and slimy though. Ugh.
The fish look happy though. 😀
Not sure , I used to have it grow like crazy in my stream lol

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The gravel layer got packed down, now bringing in the sand! The pavers will be mortared down on top of my concrete porch, but will extend out level to the patio beyond.

AC4D42E5-0B1C-4324-A35C-CDA629B571F9.jpeg

Going between the house and the knee wall retaining walk I’m going to have stepping stones set in pea gravel. The stones are set:

D79486B9-5DF4-416D-84B2-1B090446262F.jpeg

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here’s how far they got:

2CE01488-5028-4CAD-A732-C50D85983BFD.jpeg

95% of the concrete patio is covered, and an equal amount of formerly red clay. (Which had been covered with pine straw). My little patio was tiny. This makes it look MUCH bigger, even though the covered area is still limited.

My plan is to install a retractable awning beyond the covered porch. (The area where the wheel barrow is).

They’ll be back Tuesday.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
More patio!

1CE7220A-F136-44AF-A569-9539E3C3BAB9.jpeg

They’re maybe 3/5 done? Still have to cut all the little annoying little “fitter” pieces. But, oh my goodness!, what a difference! Instead of my tiny little undersized concrete patio, I now have a nice generous sized paver patio. Sure, only a small portion is covered, but I can remedy that with a retractable awning. But the feeling of spaciousness is wonderful! And no more tracking pine straw shards into the house! (Right now, I’m tracking in paver sand... but that’s just temporary.)

I’m not up to @MACH5 standard, but for a Redneck, this is pretty high livin’!!!

And, I have 5 more fish coming in tomorrow! Butter fly koi. I decided to get them in now while the weather is still warm so they will have time to get acclimated to the pond and fatten up before the winter.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ohhhh please! Hey until I see those pavers holding up your Tesla on your front yard... you ain't no redneck to me. Keep trying! 😂
Alas... I knew I couldn’t meet the @MACH5 standard! So, now, I’m just relegated to being a redneck-look-alike!

Whoa!! Then what does this do to @Dav4? He barely fit the criteria, being a Pats fan and all... well, he does like good beer, that’s one thing in his favor! If course, none of us can possibly meet @MarkyScott’s prowess of downing Shiner’s...

Top Bottom