New Chinese Quince.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had this sent to me from George Muranaka. Its a Chinese Quince, its almost 11 inches to the top of the highest leaf. Its 1 and 5/8" inch across at the base. A nice little specimen of a pre-bonsai at a fair price!

quinceback by edsnapshot, on Flickr

Another view.

Newquince by edsnapshot, on Flickr

I highly recommend George Muranaka to deal with as he is very accomodating and easy to deal with and above all gives good value and service. He is prompt answering emails too!

ed

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cute little fella. Love the skin on those quinces...Agreed George is a man of character and has been in business for a long time. He has always been kind and friendly especially early on in my development. I have a handful of his trees. Good guy.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
now that everyone has endorsed the seller...:) Let's turn our attention to
what the present owner intends to do with it in it's training and if they had a plan for a pot it will evenutoally grow into.

nicest pot I ever saw with a chinese quince was owned by David de Groot. Robin's egg blue glazed and tree was quite old and nicely shaped/barked...complimented the reddish tint to the leaves.....

thanks for sharing and good luck with your new baby

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Congrats, love that bark. I prefer the 2nd pic much more than the 1st...a branch may need to be "relocated" or removed though.

I have been looking for a nice (affordable) Chinese Quince, so far no luck but it will come. ;)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
now that everyone has endorsed the seller...:) Let's turn our attention to
what the present owner intends to do with it in it's training and if they had a plan for a pot it will evenutoally grow into.

nicest pot I ever saw with a chinese quince was owned by David de Groot. Robin's egg blue glazed and tree was quite old and nicely shaped/barked...complimented the reddish tint to the leaves.....

thanks for sharing and good luck with your new baby

Dick I have never owned a Chinese Quince before so I have to research about repotting and the best times to do it. I have a rough textured light brown pot I was thinking of using. Ideally I would like an off yellow with and orange drip, but who knows if I will ever find one like that. I like the way its growing and want it small. I want the branches to grow up almost like a broom, they are downward at this point and I dont know how easy to move them as I dont know how hard or brittle the wood is on this Quince. So for now its a wait and see deal for me.

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats, love that bark. I prefer the 2nd pic much more than the 1st...a branch may need to be "relocated" or removed though.

I have been looking for a nice (affordable) Chinese Quince, so far no luck but it will come. ;)

Dario I like the 2nd pic best too, I am hoping someone more knowledgable about Quince will chime in about the general care and charecteristics of Chinese Quince such as brittleness of the branches etc.

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dario I like the 2nd pic best too, I am hoping someone more knowledgable about Quince will chime in about the general care and charecteristics of Chinese Quince such as brittleness of the branches etc.

ed

Sorry I cannot help yet. I do know they bud back like crazy. Mine is full of buds now. :) Rebuilding a branch should be easy esp on starter plants.

I hope it is a good sign since it was planted in proper bonsai soil but hardly have any roots when I got it (last month). Did a quick repot and can say it only have a couple tiny live roots left. Hope it survives but the buds are promising...and disturbing at the same time since they are coming out very slowly. We will see.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you do have a Chinese Quince Dario? I guess you mean its not a nice one? Either way its not important, just wish someone could tell me how brittle the branches are and whether or not the bark is wirable without protecting it. It looks to me that it may need protected or the bark may scrape or get messed up easily.

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So you do have a Chinese Quince Dario? I guess you mean its not a nice one? Either way its not important, just wish someone could tell me how brittle the branches are and whether or not the bark is wirable without protecting it. It looks to me that it may need protected or the bark may scrape or get messed up easily.

ed

Yes, I just acquired one but still small. I think it is old because it is already have peeling bark but was kept in a bad substrate and most of the roots are dead and rotted. I hope my repot was in time to save it.

I did not even try to see if the branches can be bent...that is how fragile I thought mine is right now. I usually attack them right away! :p

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I just acquired one but still small. I think it is old because it is already have peeling bark but was kept in a bad substrate and most of the roots are dead and rotted. I hope my repot was in time to save it.

I did not even try to see if the branches can be bent...that is how fragile I thought mine is right now. I usually attack them right away! :p

Just flexing the small branches some with my finger they seem as stiff as a young man on prom night ...

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wire mine when branches are fairly small, and have had no breakage problems. I do watch for wire cutting in during growing season, as they grow very quickly at times. As the bark defoliates, even if you get a little cutting in, it will eventually disappear. I love Chinese Quince, and they are very fun as they start so early and grow so fast and well.
Watch out for aphids early in the year, they love quince.

good luck with yours Ed.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wire mine when branches are fairly small, and have had no breakage problems. I do watch for wire cutting in during growing season, as they grow very quickly at times. As the bark defoliates, even if you get a little cutting in, it will eventually disappear. I love Chinese Quince, and they are very fun as they start so early and grow so fast and well.

good luck with yours Ed.

Thanks Judy, and excuse the crude remark earlier :eek: I forget there are ladies here! I have wanted one for years and never could find one. I admired your plant in several posts I seen here and I think it was in your thread that someone posted George Muranaka and his Ebay link. I went online and contacted his nursery as I dont have pay pal, it seems like a sure fire ID theft oppurtunity too me. These places get hacked all the time.

ed

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You should get paypal, it's relatively innocuous as far as I can tell. And handy...

One thing about quince, if you don't like the branching and can't bend it, then chop it. It will send out all sorts of new growth to choose from. And like I said, they grow so fast, you don't loose much time at all if you're working with rough stock.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
Hope nobody minds, but thought I'd post a picture of my oldest chinese quince. Looks full of blooms this year. Pot it's in, is one of Sharon Muth's, a local artisan and dated 1978.

I air layered a chinese quince last fall and it looks as if the new tree is pushing new growth.
The old stub is alive with growth. Prospect for shohin.

Attachments

• IMG_3176.jpg
    IMG_3176.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 39

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dick, is that the one you took the layer from, if so its unnoticable. If not I wish you would post the layer and the parent as i woudl love to see them too.

ed

Emrys

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

good luck with yours Ed.

Judy, when do you usually see buds starting to push on yours? I just acquired a rather large one this winter and have been wondering about its health actually. Granted it's still very cold here with night time temps not getting above 40 degrees. Everything is happening late this year.

Top Bottom