New guy here to observe

gnathaniel

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been a member here for a while but thought I'd finally de-lurk and introduce myself. I'm an avid hobby grower of orchids and other epiphytes, and first came here looking for ideas on display aesthetics, nutrition, potting media, etc. to help me do better by my plants. No immediate plans to cultivate bonsai but I hope to take up the endeavor sometime later in life.

My wife and I are both grad-level students at the University of Georgia, which along with having two young children keeps us very busy. We moved to GA after about a decade in Asheville, NC, to where we harbor hopes of someday returning should the right jobs materialize after school.

I'd like to donate two decently large crape myrtle stumps to anyone local and interested, PM me if you want them. The catch is you'll need to come pick them up yourself, they're pretty heavy, and I won't be much help as I have some spinal disc issues. I can also provide photos and rough dimensions on request. If they stay here much longer they'll likely get chopped up for orchid mounts...

Very nice offer, wish I lived close...
Welcome to the forum, even if bonsai isn't really what you do. Don't you think you should cultivate just one teensy one? And see if maybe it's better than orchids? And maybe get a second one....;)

Welcome, your orchid background will help you understand free draining soil issues. To me that is at the heart of healthy trees. Judy's right you should at least try one...

Hey Nat, welcome! I'm a UGA grad as well (undergrad) and miss Athens - especially during football season. If I still lived in the area then I'd be all over the Crape Myrtle stumps if I lived closer. If I can work something out through friends I still have in GA then I'll let you know. I could always stash them at my parents' house until I get outdoor space up here in VA... I'll definitely let you know if I can work something out.

Hey Nat, welcome! I'm a UGA grad as well (undergrad) and miss Athens - especially during football season. If I still lived in the area then I'd be all over the Crape Myrtle stumps if I lived closer. If I can work something out through friends I still have in GA then I'll let you know. I could always stash them at my parents' house until I get outdoor space up here in VA... I'll definitely let you know if I can work something out.

I misread and thought you were two things...UGA Grad and Miss Athens!!

I used to be big into the chids. After getting into bonsai I felt like it was more rewarding and interesting than chids were to me anymore. I still have some suffering phals, phrags, and cattleya that I pretty much don't do anything to besides overwinter and water every once in a while.

Back
Top Bottom