New hinoki cypress 'verdoni'...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not meaning to be a turd but it sounds like you are making suggestions from educated guesses and not experience?
Since he's the original poster of this thread, he's free to suggest anything he wants on how this tree's going to be handled. ...But he's come here asking questions and trying to learn. All he has is guesses. He's synthesizing what all the other posters are saying and trying to apply that to his tree. I think that's at least a rudimentary definition of learning.

@Jas, You could always wire out the branches to allow sun to get into the interior ...and then move the tree to bright/open shade. That'd allow light and prevent burning. I wouldn't be very worried to cut branches back right now, but you won't harm it by NOT pruning.

Reactions: Jas

Jas

Sapling
Reaction score
Not meaning to be a turd but it sounds like you are making suggestions from educated guesses and not experience?
Vance! Come on man! I expect better from you. ;)
1. I wasn't making a suggestion to anyone, it's my tree.
2. Reading and understanding the posts we're commenting on is crucial if we're going to have constructive conversations.
3. Nothing wrong with putting education to work and sharing it freely. My education consists solely of the experience of others before me so by the transitive property it's all based on either their experiences or straight up science.

If we're parroting and perpetuating sound advice and more importantly actual scientific facts I don't think we're in the wrong by sharing it with others here. But I would take this further and say it would actually be a detriment if we only share what we have ourselves experienced. First, we all have different climates and microclimates and trees so our own experience is actually less valuable than say science or established professional theories that can inform the individuals decision and allow them to apply it in other situations thus "teaching them to fish." Second, the goal should be to provide the information that leads the questioning student (we're all students here) to self-determine the right answer for their situation with their tree NOT JUST what worked for you in your situation with your trees in your microclimate and telling them what they should do based on that unique experience. I will share things I have learned from the pros or science whether I have experienced it or not and I hope others will too. It opens a world of information. If someone has a question that I just learned about from Ryan Neil or Bjorn should I not share what I learned if it will help the person figure out their best solution? Isn't that sharing of information valuable? Isn't it based on the experience of the professional it came from? I agree 100% we we should not be giving guesses as advice; not what was happening here.

I appreciate you policing the posts to make sure bad advice isn't propagated but in this case it's misplaced and not conducive to an open, friendly learning environment. And I can't stress enough how important it is to get the context right first.

That said, I really do appreciate the effort you put into helping others!

Jas

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey I really appreciate your post, thanks! :)
Since he's the original poster of this thread, he's free to suggest anything he wants on how this tree's going to be handled. ...But he's come here asking questions and trying to learn. All he has is guesses. He's synthesizing what all the other posters are saying and trying to apply that to his tree. I think that's at least a rudimentary definition of learning.

@Jas, You could always wire out the branches to allow sun to get into the interior ...and then move the tree to bright/open shade. That'd allow light and prevent burning. I wouldn't be very worried to cut branches back right now, but you won't harm it by NOT pruning.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Found this at the garden center. It's going to be a big bonsai 36-42" tall. It's in burlap but was overwintered in a huge black tub. Roots are growing through the burlap into the soil. I'm letting that continue thinking it will allow better development and naturally air prune. The foliage is so dense it's difficult to even see the smaller branches at the tips. I have taken off some structural branches that were causing swelling and one major part of a branch to allow light to the more desirable piece of the branch. Waiting till late summer to style. It seems to be pure clay inside the burlap. Guessing I can't repot till spring. Liking that it is in such a large container. Will let that ride as long as I can. How long can I leave it in there? View attachment 249976View attachment 249978
Can you uncover more of the base to see if you have a hidden nebari feature?

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
Found this at the garden center. It's going to be a big bonsai 36-42" tall. It's in burlap but was overwintered in a huge black tub. Roots are growing through the burlap into the soil. I'm letting that continue thinking it will allow better development and naturally air prune. The foliage is so dense it's difficult to even see the smaller branches at the tips. I have taken off some structural branches that were causing swelling and one major part of a branch to allow light to the more desirable piece of the branch. Waiting till late summer to style. It seems to be pure clay inside the burlap. Guessing I can't repot till spring. Liking that it is in such a large container. Will let that ride as long as I can. How long can I leave it in there? View attachment 249976View attachment 249978
Trunk movement is interesting. Can you do a closeup near the top to see if you need to keep it all?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hin2017A_edited-1.jpg
The above Hinoki is I believe a verdoni I obtained two years ago and it is starting to develop nicely.

Two Years ago I obtained this Hinoki from a vendor at the National Show in New York. It has developed really well and I uncovered the base this year to a great surprise. Another two years and
I think the tree will really knock your scoks off.
I NYHinoki2019_edited-2.jpgNYHinoki2017-19.jpg

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
You are totally right. I'm not planning to remove the small stuff I'm trying to expose them to sunlight so they won't die back. I was wanting to wire some of the bigger pieces out so they won't shade out the little ones. Im hoping they'll still be there next year for the repot and styling.
If you know how to maintain hinoki's I would say ok. If not I would say just clean it up and start to learn about your tree. Hinoki is on of the
View attachment 259857
The above Hinoki is I believe a verdoni I obtained two years ago and it is starting to develop nicely.

Two Years ago I obtained this Hinoki from a vendor at the National Show in New York. It has developed really well and I uncovered the base this year to a great surprise. Another two years and
I think the tree will really knock your scoks off.
I View attachment 259855View attachment 259856
Vannce, I think you got a real gem there. And you are right, great nebari!

Top Bottom