New JBP looks unhealthy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello guys.

Just curious should i be worried on this JBP?
Is this needlecast that i need to treat?

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• 20210306_173825.jpg
    20210306_173825.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 313
D

Deleted member 32750

Hello guys.

Just curious should i be worried on this JBP?
Is this needlecast that i need to treat?

Thanks
Chris
It looks to me like it's just the old needles yellowing. as long as the new needles look healthy you should be ok. If the base of the needles look yellowish it's a sign of overwatering typically.

It does look like your soil is an organic soil mix. I would get it out of that ASAP as it will cause the rootball to stay too wet and lead to overwatering/fungal issues. I use Aoki blend soil for my JBPs, but a 1:1:1 mix of akadama , lava, and pumice would work.

Getting your tree in the right soil mix is the first step to ensuring your bonsai is healthy.

D

Deleted member 32750

It looks to me like it's just the old needles yellowing. as long as the new needles look healthy you should be ok. If the base of the needles look yellowish it's a sign of overwatering typically.

It does look like your soil is an organic soil mix. I would get it out of that ASAP as it will cause the rootball to stay too wet and lead to overwatering/fungal issues. I use Aoki blend soil for my JBPs, but a 1:1:1 mix of akadama , lava, and pumice would work.

Getting your tree in the right soil mix is the first step to ensuring your bonsai is healthy.
Also It's important to note that when you do change the soil mix, don't bareroot the tree. Do a half bareroot repot and then in 2-3 years bareroot the other half so you're changing the soil over a period of time not all at once

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

OHHH when i bought this tree, the soil is SOOOO DRY.
so i watered it right away once i got home.

maybe its underwatering.

Thanks for your advice, I will use, 1:1:1 of akadama, pumice and lava for this.

thanks
Chris

D

Deleted member 32750

OHHH when i bought this tree, the soil is SOOOO DRY.
so i watered it right away once i got home.

maybe its underwatering.

Thanks for your advice, I will use, 1:1:1 of akadama, pumice and lava for this.

thanks
Chris
It's a nice tree, I love the Nebari and the bark. Do you know roughly how old it is?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another thing it could be is iron deficiency.
I agree with repotting to a more open, inorganic and well draining mix.
I would try not to mess with the roots too much since its not as healthy as you would like.
Maybe scrape around the edges of the soil or even a partial bare root, not even half.

maybe @Adair M or @Brian Van Fleet would have some insight, they both are very good with JBP

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Though the ones tagged above by Paradox are wise when it comes to pine. I'm new to conifer. Above all take their advice.

I have a neglected JBP. Jonas (Bonsai Tonight) said that was a good link to what to expect and what I need to do for my own repot, but to wait for it to start to push. Then went on to say. Now not sure about yours. But I've a neglected pine...and this was told to me how to proceed. Wait a few weeks after repot then fertilize well.
Yes, that's a great example of how to go about the repotting. You'll find the roots are really dense and that they break away in clumps. I'd suggest aiming for a repotting like in the article, and if possible, loosen up the remainder of the root ball with a screwdriver or something similar to help with drainage.
20210302_180542.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Photos are not good enough to diagnose needle cast. Typical symptoms include yellow and brown horizontal stripes across the needles.

My black pines sometimes turn yellow when they are starving. Typically that's late winter and is much worse in trees that need repotting.
A course of liquid fertilizer - every week or 2 for a couple of months usually returns needles to a healthier green. yellow will return soon if I neglect fert. Root pruning and repotting makes a longer lasting difference as the soil can then hold more nutrient and water and the new roots are more active than older ones.

Dry could also make needles look poorly. Again, trees that have not been repotted for a few years suffer worse because all the soil spaces have been filled with roots and there is little space for water to penetrate the soil. Just make sure you don't go overboard with watering because they don't like to be constantly soggy either.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can see a few “tiger stripes” in a few needles. That’s typical of needlecast. Most JBP will have some needle cast, so, yes, treat it as it it DOES have it! Even if it doesn’t have it NOW, if you don’t treat it, it WILL get it. Treat for needle cast.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, your soil is terrible! You need to transition to inorganic soil. It looks to be too wet.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also, your soil is terrible! You need to transition to inorganic soil. It looks to be too wet.

I repot this today. Removed the branches that doesnt need.

I notice on the roots that its only wet on the sides and in the middle its super dry..

Also the roots looks black. Is that normal?
(Sorry didnt took pictures)

What does a healthy roots of JBP look?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I repot this today. Removed the branches that doesnt need.

I notice on the roots that its only wet on the sides and in the middle its super dry..

Also the roots looks black. Is that normal?
(Sorry didnt took pictures)

What does a healthy roots of JBP look?
Black roots on a JBP are usually dead roots, or rotted roots. The growing Roots are white. Cut off the black roots when repotting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Black roots on a JBP are usually dead roots, or rotted roots. The growing Roots are white. Cut off the black roots when repotting.

Nice... I was nervous earlier if removing the black roots is a good thing.

Thankfully I decide to remove those earlier.
I only remove 1/3 of the roots.. bottom and the sides.

I losen the soil on the top and ise thin chop stick to aerate the original soil(i keep a little of those)

Used akadama, pumice and lava combo to finish it off.

Just waiting for the buds to break and show. Then ill apply some needlecast treatment

Hope everything works guys!!!

Thanks!
Chris

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One of the problems with all the doom talk about overwatering is that people become too frightened to water bonsai properly and this happens. Water does not make right into the centre of the root ball. As the tree roots take moisture out the centre gets slowly drier and drier. Dry soil becomes harder to re wet and the problem gets worse. Far more trees die from under watering (and much quicker) than from over watering. Bonsai need to be properly watered so the water soaks right through to the centre of the root ball at least once a week. After a few years in a pot they gradually become more and more root bound and it gets even more difficult for water to get right into the soil.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is this from house of bonsai? I ask because it looks like its planted in mud. I have a jbp from them, I wish I knew to change that soil out sooner, my tree really suffered.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Jonas Dupuich told me that people over watering pine is the trees biggest downfall. 50-70 dry then water. I've went and suck a chopstick in the mix...to monitor the soil. He has a Guage as to moisture level under the pot. But at this time my plastic pot its in...is in a ceramic pot to help it not tip over. So that isn't a judge for me with the main pot not touch the bench.

This one here...talks about signs under the pot.

Jonas said he's been really stressing pine don't like wet feet. He has touched a lot in his blogs on the subject because its a problem he sees quite often.

His blog maybe of benefit to you.. Lots of talk on pines.. Feel free to spend time there as well..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Jonas Dupuich told me that people over watering pine is the trees biggest downfall. 50-70 dry then water. I've went and suck a chopstick in the mix...to monitor the soil. He has a Guage as to moisture level under the pot. But at this time my plastic pot its in...is in a ceramic pot to help it not tip over. So that isn't a judge for me with the main pot not touch the bench.

This one here...talks about signs under the pot.

Jonas said he's been really stressing pine don't like wet feet. He has touched a lot in his blogs on the subject because its a problem he sees quite often.

His blog maybe of benefit to you.. Lots of talk on pines.. Feel free to spend time there as well..
Thanks for this i will definitely take my time tonight reading his blog 👍

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would say thank you everyone for telling me to repot. Now the tree is very healthy, all green and no sign of yellow or needle cast..

by the way anyone have estimate how old is this JBP?

Top Bottom