New Juniper Procumbens Nana

fabian531

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Recently for Christmas my best friend surprised me by presenting me my lovely Procumbens Nana and I really love it. I am very minorly aquainted with the Art of Bonsai as back in March of 2015 I had become very interested in the topic but alas my follow through failed me as I just kept putting it off. Now though I have this living beauty that I was given rather little information on how to maintain and I have some general questions for you; thou who hath much more experience than I haha.

This tree was purchased from an exotic plants store in Sacramento and I was disappointed how little information was provided with my tree. That being said I don't know what condition it was in before my care but my paranoid side makes me itchy because I really don't want my first tree to die on me. So now that I have drawn out the introduction much to long my questions:

1. I have been watering it roughly every other day to every 2 to 3 days or just by eyeing it and contemplating the last time I watered. I do this because I don't want to over water it as it's in a rather small pot and looks like it's in its first five years of life. [i will provide a photo shortly]. Seeing as it's winter in Sacramento county am I still overwatering it? I haven't been feeding it copious amounts of water but I have been using a small bowl that is proportional to the pot more or less.

2. Do I need to feed my tree any fertilizers in the winter and if so can anyone suggest a good organic blend that I can purchase for less than an arm or leg haha.

3. Seeing as I kind of have been bounced right into my current situation I would appreciate any friendly advice that any of you will provide.

Thank you all for taking the time to read all this. I understand it is long and wordy hahaha. Your patience is dearly appreciated.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

Where do you keep the tree? Do understand that a Juniper is an outdoor tree year round. That being said, if it's been indoors you might as well leave it indoors this winter.

Water your tree only when the soil is dry. Stick a chopstick into the soil and pull it out every so often. If it's dry, water it. If it's wet, wait.

I wouldn't feed the tree right now since in theory it's supposed to be dormant. A picture would be awesome though so we can give you the best answers.

fabian531

Seedling
Reaction score
I can't quite figure out how to post a picture onto here as I am using my mobile device but I will attempt to upload the one I have when I get home and power up my laptop.

I kept my tree indoors for the first week and my room is uninsulated so it was generally it's been in a temperature range of around 50°F to as low as 35°F. Then after that week I took it outside room which directly outside my room is a metal sheeting awning that expands roughly 20 ft. I placed it on a table outside my room for roughly a week then I began to switch it spots between actually outside with no overhead cover and the awning. I was mainly doing this as I was afraid that the amount of rain that we have been getting would oversees my tree and kill it. Would rain be bad for my tree if it's constantly raining? Thank you for the chopstick idea and for the prompt reply!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should be an upload file button down yonder.
At home, drag and drop.

Welcome to Crazy!

Seems I could keep this ....
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/new-bonsai-help.21629/#post-314986

Right handy, so I don't become a crusty vet, by answering the same questions all the time! Nuthack!

For real though.....
I am the new guy old guy liason.

I'm all about you getting your tree on!

Sorce

fabian531

Seedling
Reaction score
This is my tree had to bring it inside for a sec to capture the photo.

Attachments

• 1452482380324-1748086739.jpg
    1452482380324-1748086739.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 51

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fabian.....

Lotta People, including your future self.....
Will not consider working this......

That Said.....we all love out first tree....
The challenge is doing it right to keep it forever, and make it a dope tree....

That Said.....I would do the following....

Let that big section grow out till your tree looks kinda like the child drawing.
Then, in 10 years or so....

Cut it at the red line, or safer, sorry, work it back in consecutive years to the red line. Maybe 6inches to a foot off a year....
By then you'll know what is safe!

In the mean time....wire that big part, out of the way, it's your sacrifice.....

And begin tending that little first branch as your tree.
If you can put the sacrifice out of your mind.....
You can enjoy your future tree in the mean time.....(imagination required!)
aviary-image-1452528849857.jpeg

Go long game.....and actually have a bitchin ass tree from your first one....
That would be a feat!

Study study study.....
And add to your collection!

Sorce

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is what I would do.

This spring up-pot it into a slightly larger container. Maybe an inch or two wider than the current pot. I wouldn't go any deeper. If you can't find an appropriate sized nursery container you can always cut down a larger one. You don't want to put it in something a lot larger because the soil will stay too wet. You can use bonsai soil, but regular potting soil amended with perlite is good for growing stuff out. The potting soil will hold onto fertilizer better than the bonsai soil. After you repot fertilize it regularly and don't cut anything off. You want to let it grow unchecked to thicken the trunk.

In the meantime get a couple other plants to mess with. In a couple years when you've killed some plants and gotten a better grasp of bonsai you can come back to this and start styling it.

fabian531

Seedling
Reaction score
I have been contemplating transplanting my tree to an area around my house once the rain slows down in order to inspire trunk growth for a couple years. Would this be a bad decision?

fabian531

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies a,d advice it's all been appreciated.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been contemplating transplanting my tree to an area around my house once the rain slows down in order to inspire trunk growth for a couple years. Would this be a bad decision?

It is said that if you're not keeping it in ground for at least five years....it is not worth the effort....this is true....

Also true......
A colander will allow for excellent growth above and below....and you will have it in a place you can watch it..tend it...control it.

Also....these things grow like mad in regular nursery pots....

Just some things to mull over.

Sorce

fabian531

Seedling
Reaction score
A colander as a substitute for a pot for the time being? Yes maybe planting it would be unwise as I will be moving out of my location within the next 5 years to establish my life in the direction I am going with a job and family (hopefully by then) and generally become completely independent.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure thing a colander for you then....

I don't know when a good repotting time would be for you.....
It may be health dependant and not happen till late summer...or maybe next next spring....2017.
You may not get there at all!:(

But when you do....

Get your roots spread out nice, so your nebari start is good and even....and just leave it in there for a good five years...

Good soil.....gotta be good loose inorganic soil....

There are way better options then China store Colanders....
Made boxes....
Here's some of what I prefer....
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/those-pot-materials.18202/

Again...hard to tell when you'll be able to safely repot it....
All that means is you have a lot of time to research your soil....your colander....and everything else!

Keep her safe in the mean time!

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Large colanders (at least 10 inches) with mostly inorganic soil is a great routine for thickening.

Top Bottom