New juniper to work over

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just got home from 5 days at the coast. Cooked Thanksgiving in the trailer again and food was excellent. Nothing better than a plate of food, dog in the background and a gun magazine on the table. My kind of day.
DSCN05960013.JPG
The sunsets at the coast were especially good this time around. I shoot them whenever I can. I love sunsets.

DSCN06070024.JPG
DSCN06710088.JPG

Made time Saturday to go see George Muranaka and shoot the shit and find something to work on this winter.
There's lots to choose from there.

DSCN06470064.JPG
DSCN06130030.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this was the bad boy I decided to work over.

DSC_00110011.JPG

It's a San Jose juniper and the trunk is about 1 5/8 inch across and the tree stands about 10 inches tall. My plan is to bring it down to about 7 inches tall, jin the bottom two heavy branches and work with whats left. The actual trunk portion is only 3 inches tall. It has a deep ripped removal of a thick branch in the possible front of the tree. I suppose some carving of a Uro is possible there. Then I could get into Darlenes Uro thread.

DSC_00010001.JPG

It doesn't show up well cause the base is wet, but the flare at the soil is nearly 3.5 inches across.

DSC_00030003.JPG

DSC_00080008.JPG

DSC_00090009.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And as soon as that gravy is off your chin......
You can start working the tree!

Nice!

Sorce
Trust me, none of it made it to my chin. In fact I didn't even need a napkin for the entire meal!, and I got the belly to proove it!

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Happy Thanksgiving - Were you at Pismo?

Nice pickup from George. I like the sound of your design plan. What's your plan for it timing-wise? Will you start now?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh what fun that would be to find time to ample through that nursery! Great find my friend...looking forward to seeing you bring what you envision to life...and see it. Sounds like an amazing plan! That tree screams potential at your hands.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
excuse me?
Oh my, please don't take that the wrong way. I didn't mean to imply you weren't doing bonsai, but I can see how it may have come off that way - text communication is so lacking in cues, and the emoji was clearly not sufficient. I was just being playful about the juxtaposition of bonsai and hurrying.
I suppose we all say "hurry up" to our trees; they just don't listen.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Oh my, please don't take that the wrong way. I didn't mean to imply you weren't doing bonsai, but I can see how it may have come off that way - text communication is so lacking in cues, and the emoji was clearly not sufficient. I was just being playful about the juxtaposition of bonsai and hurrying.
I suppose we all say "hurry up" to our trees; they just don't listen.
So true; mine all say "excuse me?" when I tell them to hurry. I'm just anxious to see what Al does with this little guy. :)

johng

Omono
Reaction score
why bother with San Jose?? unless you graft some decent foliage on there, this tree will never be right:) especially as a small tree...

Top Bottom