New Orientalis Liquidamber

pawspawsheart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Got this oriental sweetgum 3 weeks ago from a local nursery. It came in a 1 gallon container with some organic soil. The first thing I did was repot it in a fast draining bonsal soil that I purchased. This is my first tree to start practicing bonsai with. So I still have a lot of learning to do. I've read a few bonsai related books and are stocked up with tools and supplies.

The tree appears to be doing well and liking the new soil. The foliage is getting thicker and I was hoping to get inputs on styling and some guidance.

Attachments

• 2015-05-29-20-18-28_deco.jpg
    2015-05-29-20-18-28_deco.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 2015-05-29-22-34-10_deco.jpg
    2015-05-29-22-34-10_deco.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 2015-05-29-22-33-14_deco.jpg
    2015-05-29-22-33-14_deco.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 67

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Great first tree! It looks like it is already developing some interesting bark.
You're going to get a lot of different feedback on this tree - probably along the lines of - "put it in the ground for 10 years" or "chop it at the first branch" but my suggestion on styling would be to try and play to its current strengths. It is tall, lean and heavy up top - the only one of those I would consider altering is the heaviness up top. Reduce the foliage by eliminating weak branches and those that come out of crotches or are growing straight up.
But if you want my real advice it is that I would keep this tree healthy for the first year by routine watering and fertilizing. Walk around it every morning (or whenever you water) and look it over. See what the natural form of this tree wants to do. As you progress and feel more confident about keeping a tree alive you will begin to notice your want for more trees but as your first - don't let this one go.
I can tell you that at some point in time you will not like this tree, and that is ok because eventually you will come to love all you've learned from it.

Enjoy it for this first year, keep it healthy and strong and in that time ideas for styling will present themselves.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm pretty sure your tree is gonna end up being those first couple branches, but I too would leave it for now.

Maybe a minor top thinning to keep the bottom in Sun.

Maybe next spring chop it to the long branch about a foot up.

Next or so, down to the final tree.

I like it.

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
These have wonderful fall colors, and a nice choice for a bonsai. Learning how to water is your first step, welcome to bnut!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm one of those people to tell you to grow it out for a thick trunk ,get used to it and it's needs then ...... Whack it back to that lowest branch on the left in your third picture.

pawspawsheart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome and the great advices. I think that's a good start. I'll do some minor thinning above, leave it alone for the year, study the tree and perhaps cut it down when the time is right.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
And next time you repot (probably 2 years from now), get rid of those ugly roots. I bet you find some much better potentil surface roots blow those monstrosities.

pawspawsheart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@jkl I wasn't sure what to do with them. Aesthetically it's an eye sore. They're definitely coming off. Should I remove them now before they get out of control or should I wait two years?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'd leave them for now until you know the tree better and how it reacts to manipulation.

Top Bottom