New three trunked malus spp

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the fakebook I spotted a decent deal for a crapapple. As I have one crappy one which I was contemplating getting rid off, I thought this might be the replacement I was looking for. So.. Made the deal. Asked for shipping. And waited.

Monday it arrived. Unfortunately.. During shipment it had a mishap. THe seller told me it was wrapped well and the mail comp must have played basketball with it. The mail service sais they would have put a label on it, had they damaged it. In any case.. I have a bruised tree...

1593028818893.png

1593028854502.png
In any case.. The tree-legged lady, repotted as it had come loose in the pot, and the substrate was just compost; after teasing everything out of the rubble and spending an hour correcting the roots..

1593028949473.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree was doing poorly, so I removed all the branches a few days after receiving the tree. Yesterday I noticed the first new leaves coming through, and I decided to "be bold or go home" and did a structural prune on this one, back to visibly swollen buds.

It lost a well-ramified branch. I decided to clean the bottom of the cut branch and pot it up.
Any chances here in getting it to root? Will crap apple root from summer hardwood cuttings?

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm currently rooting some. They are in sealed boxes of moist perlite with bottom heat and 16 hrs of overhead light from LED . They have been much slower to root than younger branches, but they are pushing new roots. I used a medium strength rooting hormone on them.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm currently rooting some. They are in sealed boxes of moist perlite with bottom heat and 16 hrs of overhead light from LED . They have been much slower to root than younger branches, but they are pushing new roots. I used a medium strength rooting hormone on them.
Sounds good!

Over where I am ther is no such thing as weak, strong or medium rooting hormone. So I just grabbed what I have. It sounds promising though!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After defoliation and a few basic pruning & wiring actions it looked like this on July 7th. The rightmost trunk will need re-growing I think. A few more years of fun in this one!
20200711-R14A3968-364.jpg

Not taken a picture, but today the tree is full lush and green again.

Top Bottom