New Tigerbark Pre-Bonsai help

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I could put one light lower to get more light underneath the tree. I couldn't find any desk lights that had a longer goose neck than this one. Also here's a Chinese elm and a Premna that could go in it's spot. Able to get a better angle on them for sure, but not sure if they would do worse inside than the Ficus. Specs on this light are 75W full spectrum LED. This is the dimmest setting.

Attachments

• IMG_9861.jpg
    IMG_9861.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_9859.jpg
    IMG_9859.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you can get the lights closer, or leave them on the brightest setting, you'd be better off. Only one way to know for sure though.
Never done either of those others, and this is my first ficus, so not sure what to tell you there. I know Chinese elms like as much sun as they can get from other threads here, so you may be safer with the ficus in the lights. You can swap brightness for time, but only by so much. If you can combine the lights and a window seat, you ought to be just fine in all respects.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I could put one light lower to get more light underneath the tree. I couldn't find any desk lights that had a longer goose neck than this one. Also here's a Chinese elm and a Premna that could go in it's spot. Able to get a better angle on them for sure, but not sure if they would do worse inside than the Ficus. Specs on this light are 75W full spectrum LED. This is the dimmest setting.
As mentioned by another. Chinese elm need a lot of light. Brent mentioned that on his website.

Tell tale that lights aren't strong enough for ones plant. Long internodes and larger foliage. If this doesn't bother you...then don't stress it. But it will make a less compact tree.
20210820_082148.jpg

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
As mentioned by another. Chinese elm need a lot of light. Brent mentioned that on his website.

Tell tale that lights aren't strong enough for ones plant. Long internodes and larger foliage. If this doesn't bother you...then don't stress it. But it will make a less compact tree.
View attachment 392712

The premna here is a Pre-bonsai, hasn't been trimmed all season or longer. Just waiting for it to acclimate before I start pruning to tighten things up. Just wanted to post a picture to see if that would be a better set up than the Tiger bark because of the Angle

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The premna here is a Pre-bonsai, hasn't been trimmed all season or longer. Just waiting for it to acclimate before I start pruning to tighten things up. Just wanted to post a picture to see if that would be a better set up than the Tiger bark because of the Angle
The tree will let you know. Just watch for the signs. Tight internodes...it is getting it needs met. Long internodes...it isn't getting enough light.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you're second guessing yourself.
Go with what you know and with what your gut tells you about it, make the call and follow through.
Whatever happens, it won't be a waste of your time, and there's a hundred people here willing to ship cuttings for another go.
Tree liver; you learn. Tree dies; you learn. Win/win.

Top Bottom