New to bonsai, looking for a little advice on maples.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never even thought of checking somewhere like wilkos for them. Ive heard that maples do grow fast though and to be careful leaving wire on for long times.

I don't have any ground I can plant in really, would a very large pot work or would having to prune roots every few years or so keep it from growing thick? Even though the pot would be big, it would still get pot bound I suppose.

That's what I'd like to do though, get trees at different stages of life so I've got plenty to go at and learn.
Yeah just use whatever you can manage and dont let it hold you back. If you trawl this site you will find various threads on the merits of ground growing, pond baskets, self-built wooden boxes, gradually up-potting in standard nursery pots etc... Just avoid restrictive bonsai pots until the latter stages of development.

If you are already in the gardening trade thats a big plus! You might find some other interesting species people want cleared out off their land, or cheap material from your suppliers.

Reaction score
So far ive not seen suggestions on air layering which is by far the cheapest and fastest way to a radial root base and "choose your size" trunk.

If you can find a relatively vertical branch a radial root system is very easy to start saving you years.

Also have you mentioned "why" you want to grow bonsai?

The most ardent are often the most frugal, saving their monies for pots (heheh)

Therefore buying pre bonsai isnt as always as efficient as learning horticulture/ how to collect / how to clone (via layering techniques)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, I'm a landscape gardener so I'll have to keep my eye out for seedlings. I don't see to many Japanese maple when I'm at work but I'll be able to grab any for free if I do.

you will have access to landscape nurseries if thats your job. i get a lot of material from large trade nurseries that arent usually strict about who can buy from there and theyre quite happy for you to buy as much as you want, often i only buy one or two at a time. i have a trade discount card at one of them and im no landscaper/gardener but they know me as the bonsai guy who's been coming for years. they allow me to hack trees to bits on site, cut away root balls if needed, easier for transportation and as i dont have a garden just makes things easier for when i get home. much less mess.
i dont usually waste time with anything unless it has a good base/nebari and lots of branches/low branches. some will say you can always grow new branches, but personally i like to start with something i can work out the box so to speak. i get great joy from working on raw material.

Last edited:
Top Bottom